User list on tomcat server is differs depending on operating system

I’m used to work with two different operating systems (windows and linux), depending on the desk I’m using. I’ve started configuring the bpm tomcat server (created users, deployed processes etc.) on my windows machine. From there I’ve started it and everything works as expected.

Today, I transferred the bpm tomcat server (the files) to my linux machine. When I start the same server, the processes appear just fine, but the users and groups do not.

1. What is the reason for the different behaviour of the same files running in different operating systems?
  2. How can I develop in both operating systems with the same server files?
  3. What is the best way to develop the server locally on different operating systems?

Thanks you for your time reading this … and if you have an idea to solve the problem or a better idea for my working procedure, please let me know.

Hi @SorenSc1,

Camunda stores all data in a relational database. On the default Tomcat distribution, this is a file-backed H2 database. When you check ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/server.xml, you see that the JDBC url is jdbc:h2:./camunda-h2-dbs/process-engine;MVCC=TRUE;TRACE_LEVEL_FILE=0;DB_CLOSE_ON_EXIT=FALSE, where the part following jdbc:h2: is the path to the file. This path is relative and resolves to different absolute paths when interpreted in a Windows and Linux environment afaik. If you want to improve this, I recommend using an absolute path or configuring a database like postgres that you run independently of the application server.

Cheers,
Thorben

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I wrote a small shell script to change the path. It can be found here.

1 Like