Restart completed process instance with same instance id

I want to restart a completed process instance, but with the same process instance id like the origin instance. Is there any other way to restart a process instance with the same id like the origin instance as with the “process Instance modification” option?

In short no.
Why is it that you need the process ID to be the same, generally we advise against using the ID of a process instance for any kind of external correlation.

Maybe you can think of using BusinessKey for this case rather than process instance id.

Hello @Niall, how are you?

I also have the same need as @sascha.hanss. My use case involves integrating with another application:
- The process flow is interrupted in an ‘Intermediate Signal Capture Event’;
- The application integrated with Camunda sends the signal for this event and also changes the process variables;
- After the event, there is an ‘Exclusive Portal’ that can direct the process flow to the beginning or to a ‘Final Event’.

I need to restart this process instance when the user makes a mistake in this second application that is responsible for sending the signal, as the process flow is directed to the ‘Final Event’ improperly.

Creating a new ID creates a traceability problem for me, because I will lose the history of this process instance.

Hi @wesleyaraujjo,

In your use case you should implement the ATV2 task in an idempotent manner and handle the error here instead of restarting the complete process.

You can do it with JavaDelegates (mark the task as async before and throw an excetion when it failed, handle the incident in the Cockpit) or external tasks (respond with failure Handle External Task Failure | docs.camunda.org and handle the incident).

Hope this helps, Ingo