Nerving banner "Camunda needs you"

Hi all,

I started a new project and am using version 7.14 as standalone spring boot application. Every time I start the Web-UI in my browser, there is a nerving banner “Camunda needs you”. Even if I had filled out all fields, this banner reappears after the next start. Is there a way to have this banner skipped? I’m still in the development phase and therefore I use only H2 in memory database. Would this banner disappear if I used a persistent database?

TIA,
Christian

Hi Christian,

You can set the engine configuration property initializeTelemetry to false to disable telemetry before the start (see https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.14/introduction/telemetry/#process-engine-configuration). In that case, no banner will show up. In general, the banner disappears after you have once decided for or against telemetry, be it via UI or configuration. Of course, as you move to a new database (e.g. in a dev setup) Camunda doesn’t know the decision anymore.

Cheers,
Thorben

2 Likes

Hi Thorben,

how can I set this propety in an application.yaml file? this did not work as expected:

camunda.bpm:
  filter:
    create: All tasks
  jpa:
    enabled: true
  initialize-telemetry: false

Hi @cjacob

I also just want to add that we’re going to be removing the banner in a future release to hopefully include something less terrifying. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can do that with generic properties: Process Engine Configuration | docs.camunda.org. I think the property name needs to be camel case then.

1 Like

@cjacob, When you start first time, act on when you see “Camunda Needs you”. Navigate through the steps and complete the privacy settings and click Save. After that it will not prompt you with this welcome message. This is one time settings you need to act on. I just tested this.

1 Like

@thorben, i tried with following settings,

camunda.bpm:
admin-user:
id: admin
password: admin
generic-properties:
properties:
initialize-telemetry: false

But this does not work. I feel this is not the right option to disable the pop up window all together.

this one helped:

camunda.bpm:
  generic-properties:
    properties:
      initializeTelemetry: false
4 Likes

Good to know. One new learning today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This might be also useful if you would like to disable sending anonymous data.

`telemetryReporterActivate=false".

This will send info about your Camunda installation only once.

1 Like

that also was helpful, thanks!

thanks for the clear clarification and help!