Move Webapp project source

Latest change in source of version 7.15.alpha2 is merging it with camunda-bpm-platform.

I searched main documents but didn’t find any thing about the Reasons of this moving.

I have questions and I hope to find the answer.

1. Before this, I could develop Webapp Independently. how can I continue developing Webapp after this moving? Do I have to get source of everything in camunda-bpm-platform just for developing Webapp?

2. Is there a new way to develop and run Webapp across other contents of camunda-bpm-platform?

3. Why there is’nt any easy document about this moving?

thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Hi @Mohammad_Hasan_Saffa,

Thank you for your questions and your feedback.

Over the past years, we already consolidated most of our repositories into one mono repository (e.g., DMN Engine, Model API, etc.). Recently, we consolidated our Webapps as well into our main repository. Our main motivation is simplifying the job structure of our Continuous Integration: It was previously necessary to build the Camunda Runtime Platform in multiple steps and specific order. With the incorporation of the Webapps, the build complexity and structure were simplified significantly, allowing us and our users to build all modules of the Camunda Runtime Platform (excluding distros) by running mvn clean install in the repository’s root directory.

Regarding your questions:

• RE 1: You need to clone the camunda-bpm-platform repository; the Webapps are located under ./webapps; if cloning the source code is an issue for you due to the size of the repository, you could have a look at partial cloning of mono repositories
  • RE 2: There is no new way to develop and run the Webapps: switch into the ./webapps subdirectory and run npm i && grunt auto-build
  • RE 3: Since besides the changed location, there is not much more to consider, we’ve documented this change in the README of the old repository: https://github.com/camunda/camunda-bpm-webapp

Does this answer your questions?

Even though we have announced this change in our last release blog post, I agree with you, that we have missed the chance to explain our motivation behind it. I’ll check if we can publish a forum post to catch up on that.

Best,
Tassilo

1 Like

Hi @tasso94

Thank you for the quick and complete answer.
I got this.

I was worried that fundamental changes might have taken place.

2 Likes

Hi @Mohammad_Hasan_Saffa,

I’m glad that my answer helps. Based on your feedback, I created a dedicated forum post and pinned it:
https://forum.camunda.io/t/the-source-code-of-the-webapps-has-a-new-home/25134/3

Best,
Tassilo

1 Like