Modeller Usage with large models and nested subprocesses

Hi,
occasionally, we have quite large bpmn diagrams, that use nested subprocesses.
Currently, we are using signavio for modeling those diagrams, where each collapsed subprocess is an own process definition, modeled in a separate file.
Now, we are evaluating camunda Modeler, for modeling those larger diagrams and export them to signavio afterwards.
We need to use collapsed subprocesses, call activites are no option.
In order to evaluate camunda Modeler, I re-modeled the original diagram in camunda Modeler (see attached file).
When I open the file in camunda Modeler Version 1.12.0, I’m facing the following issues:

• when I change the type of a collapsed subprocess to expanded (“Change type” and then select “Sub Process (expanded)”), change the content of the subprocess and change the type of the sub process back to collapsed (“Change type” and then select “Sub Process (collapsed)”), the layout of the main model, containing the sub process, is somehow changed.
  • on uncollapsing a subprocess, the elements of the main process are greyed out, which is good, but some elements are not, which is confusing.

Can you reproduce my issues?
Do you have any idea, how to work around them?
Thanks a lot,
Georg

pvcm.bpmn (292.3 KB)

Hi,

we’re actually working on being compatible with Signavio regarding the issue with subprocesses.

You can expect this to be fixed soon.

One problem with Signavio is that it doesn’t regard subprocesses being part of the main process. So you can export a nested process and import it to camunda which works fine (except for the layout problems reported above). But when you alter the model in camunda modeler and save it, you can only re-import it to Signavio as a completely new model. It won’t update the old Signavio models (for Signavio there are multiple models) to a new revision. I assume, this cannot be solved by the camunda folks but needs to be done a few blocks away.

Hi,
I’ve reported a bug at signavio:
https://jira.signavio.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/SCS-9483
No idea, how I can make the ticket public.
May be, you can find a solution for the problem, together with signavio?
Thanks a lot,
Georg

Are there plans to develop any option to display nested subprocesses in a more transparent way?
For instance: When expanding a collapsed sp, the main process becomes invisible, and is visible again, when the sp is collapsed.

I appreciate that you guys don’t want to save the sp in a different entity, because it would be in conflict with the bpmn specs. Just a solution in terms of displaying it in the modeler would solve the challenge within camunda and there would be no need for working with two systems.

Thx
Rainer