How to import BPM from MS-Visio into Camunda an viceversa?

hej,

still evaluating the possibilities of implemtentation we are dealing the always important questions about legacy.

Our Company has a real big amount of determined processes in MS-Visio (vsd / vdx), so we are thinking about solutions how to get this work into Camunda and for real easy and independent transition even from Camunda to MS-Visio ?

My quick search did not give any results, so im posting this to you guys…
thanks and best regards

Camunda is able to import any model that adheres to the BPMN 2.0 standard. It is also able to export models to that standard.

If you manage to export the models from Visio into that format it should be quite easy to transition to camunda. Although in my experience MS-Visio does not export valid BPMN 2.0 so unless there’s some conversion from Visio’s proprietary standard to the open BPMN 2.0 standard migration will likely be a manual process.

Hi,

There are some commercial tools which claim to perform the mapping (Oracle, Sparx etc…). Another approach Ive seen is to use an XSLT to convert the visio xml to bpmn xml. These are not so easy to find, but a reference from the past is here…

regards

Rob

2 Likes

While Visio has a BPMN symbol library you can use to model a process with, it is not (yet) able to export as BPMN 2.0 format. Considering Microsoft’s direction in this matter, I doubt this will ever be a capability.