How is a Global Task defined?

Hi

I understand that a call activity can call a process - and that process can be defined as a BPMN process in its own right, and referenced by the call activity.

The BPMN spec says that a call activity can call an atomic “global task” - but is says nothing about how that task is defined, or where information about it is stored, or how it is referenced.

So my question is, how is a global task defined? And what does a call activity calling a global task reference? Or does it just reference a label that is defined and understood by the enterprise (eg - “put on Micky Mouse ears” for the Disney Corp!)?

Thanks very much for any enlightenment!

Hello @anolian,

You’re right, the BPMN specification tells us about a so called Global Task which is a reusable (callable) task from different process models. Camunda currently does not support this type of BPMN flow element, therefore you cannot configure. If you really have only one task you want to reuse then put that task into a simple process definition and use the CallActivity.

Best, McAlm

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m glad it’s not just me!

But I’m interested in this in principle, independent of any specific tool. Googling reveals very little about Global Tasks, and I suspect few tools do implement it.

Personally I think it may be a somewhat redundant construct. I can see no advantage in defining a single task independently of processes that might use it - because it is just a single task and can be represented in multiple diagrams without loss of efficiency.

Interestingly, there is a diagram in the book Real Life BPMN (from the Camunda stable) which shows a task labelled “Global Task” being referenced via Call Activities, but all within a single pool - suggesting that a GT is “global” within the process (or collaboration), rather than global to the process landscape.

Cheerio, Mike

Hi again

Your solution makes sense - but it turns a GT into just a very simple process, so again, GT seems to be a redundant construct, at least as I currently (?mis)understand it.