Hide process from tasklist "Start process" dialog but allow user to see process diagram

Hi,
I am starting some process instances outside of the Camunda tasklist app via either the Java or REST APIs and so haven’t provided a start form within the camunda process as I don’t want tasklist users to be able to start these.

However I do want my tasklist users to be able to see the process diagram when they browse their tasks.

Is there a way to set the Authorizations in the admin app to allow this??

It seems to me that both of these are controlled by the Process Definition READ permission and so if I give this permission to enable viewing the diagram then the process also gets added to the list of process types available for creation from the tasklist Start process dialog.

This then shows the default dialog prompting for a business key and allowing creation of arbitrary process variables.

Hi,

This CAM-3164 feature request may be of interest. In particular see Roman’s comment at the end.

regards

Rob

Thanks for the speedy reply Rob,
That is interesting.
Seems to me that it would be better if the tasklist user was only shown processes in the Start Process dialog that they had permission to create.

At the moment if I enable viewing of the bpm diagram then the process appears in the list of available processes to start.

If you then try and start one of these processes you get the message:

“The process could not be started. : The user with id ‘testlmc’ does not have ‘CREATE’ permission on resource ‘ProcessInstance’.”

I guess a workaround might be to provide an in process start form which warns the user that this process shouldn’t be initiated from inside tasklist and if possible prevents any attempt at starting the process.

I kinda agree, it would be a better user experience if tasklist did not show processes you cant start. I thought there might be a feature request in for this improvement already, but I have not found one yet…

regards

Rob

I think this feature request addresses that behavior 1

Cheers,
Roman

2 Likes