Camunda 8 upgrade 8.2 -> 8.4

Hi,
We have a self-managed C8 setup which we have upgraded to 8.4 version and I’m trying to update the spring-boot-starter-camunda to 8.4.2 and zeebe-client-java to 8.4.5 . But getting error in the workers while processing the job

Hi @mv4701, welcome to the forums! It looks like you may have tried to paste an error log but it didn’t work. Can you share the error?

@nathan.loding Hi, yes I did. Bur I’m getting 403 error when I add the complete logs. Can you please help me on how to copy paste the error logs here?

Worker worker failed to handle job with key 6755399441080022 of type rest, sending fail command to broker

have also update the original post with screenshot.

Also, the same worker is stable and works with spring-boot-starter-camunda and zeebe-client-java version 8.2.4

Also, there is one additional error observed at the start of the application

2024-03-19T16:35:37.124-04:00 ERROR 29793 — [ main] i.c.c.auth.DefaultNoopAuthentication : Unable to determine authentication. Please check your configuration

We are not using identity and the config in the properties file is as follows -

zeebe:
client:
broker:
gateway-address: “127.0.0.1:26500”
security:
plaintext: true

Hi @mv4701 - the error in your last post doesn’t match the screenshot you added to the first post. Are you getting both errors or only the second error?

Are you using Identity with your Self-Managed installation? You shared the application properties, can you also share how you’ve instantiated the Zeebe client and configured the worker? (The first error says it cannot invoke the handleRestCall method.)

Hi @nathan.loding , I’m getting both the errors. I think, the handleRestCall error is related to my jobWorker custom code I will try to debug it.

But I need help with the second error which I have pasted above. The DefaultNoopAuthentication error is getting logged from spring-zeebe somewhere, which I’m not able to get rid of. Attached is the screenshot below.

Also, to answer your question, No I’m not using identity with the self-managed installation.

but in my pom.xml I have added these lines -

<repository>
        <releases>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
        </releases>
        <snapshots>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
        </snapshots>
        <id>identity</id>
        <name>Camunda Identity</name>
        <url>https://artifacts.camunda.com/artifactory/camunda-identity/</url>
    </repository>

<repository>
        <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
        </releases>
        <snapshots>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
        </snapshots>
        <id>identity-snapshots</id>
        <name>Camunda Snapshot Identity</name>
        <url>https://artifacts.camunda.com/artifactory/camunda-identity-snapshots/</url>
    </repository>

If I don’t add these lines with spring-boot-starter-camunda:8.4.2 and zeebe-client-java:8.4.5 I get error while building the project has shown in below screenshot -

Hi @mv4701 - I am not sure about the Identity dependency … let’s look at the other errors first, then revisit that one.

For the authentication issue, one thing to try is to set camunda.client.mode to simple in your application properties (as described here).

looks like setting the camunda.client.mode to simple doesn’t help resolve the error log. Screenshot below -

@mv4701 - strange … below that error, it looks like the job worker successfully connects. Have you tried executing a process that calls the job worker?

Hi @nathan.loding ,
yes, with a quick sanity testing I can say that application works fine and it is able activate the jobs and process them. But as we are deploying this code to production environment we want to resolve this error, as we are not sure if it will affect the application processing in the future.

Hi @mv4701 - looking at the spring-zeebe code, it looks like you’re hitting the condition below, because there isn’t a username or password value in your config. Those values are used for connecting to Operate and Tasklist, I believe; if you aren’t connecting to those, and only registering a job worker with Zeebe, I think you can set camunda.client.operate.enabled and camunda.client.tasklist.enabled to false. If you do want to use those services, then you need to provide the user/pass.

If that works, it sounds like we could use some clarification in the documentation (or add more detail in the error itself). Depending on the outcome, would you mind opening an issue in the GitHub repository for this?

Hi @nathan.loding ,

It doesn’t looks like either of this works. Attached is the screenshot. Please check and let me know if I’m not configuring anything correctly here in the application.yml file.

I see there is reference to DefaultNoopAuthentication in two more places -

and

From which of these 3 references does the error message is printed I was not able to debug it? Can you please check.

Hi @mv4701 - can you report this as a bug in the spring-zeebe repository?

Hi @nathan.loding , Thank you for you help. Created the issue here "Unable to determine authentication. Please check your configuration" Error on springboot application start up using spring-zeebe · Issue #751 · camunda-community-hub/spring-zeebe · GitHub