ZEEBE vs Camunda

Hi… question on the product roadmap. Is zeebe the future of the camunda bpm? camunda cloud uses it, also from some old posts, it seems it addresses the same use cases as the current BPM production, but with high scalability/performance contributed by the event sourcing and GRPC. So I cannot think of a reason why not.

We just start the camunda journey and we probably need all the bell and whistle for the enterprise use. Hope to get guidance on where to start.

Thanks

Camunda BPM is a more mature product, but I agree that in the presence of zeebe, its future is not as shiny as it would be without zeebe :slight_smile:

For me, a big argument of zeebe (and a major weak point in camuna BPM) is the fact that camunda can’t catch events in advance. I.e. the process must have reached the catching event in order to be able to really catch it. There is no buffering.

There are some projects trying to solve it, but I’d expect this to be a product feature.

2 Likes

I think @fml2 pointed out a nice benefit of Zeebe regarding eventing, i’ll expand a little bit on that.
It’s built from the group up to give specific features that due to the way Camunda Platform is build it could never fully implement. To be quite simplistic about it Zeebe was built to do this:

1. No Database bottleneck.
    a. The state is stored as events distributed throughout the cluster, history is exported.
  2. Horizontally scalable.
    a. adding more nodes = better performance. (Camunda Platform’s Database prevents this)
  3. Event Based architecture.
    a. As @fml2 alluded to there are some shortcomings of Camunda Platform due to the way events work, these are no present in Zeebe by design.

In terms of the future use? Zeebe will become the choice you should make if you want to use a process engine as a service i.e. Camunda Cloud.

Camunda Platform isn’t going anywhere! It’s still a great, very mature engine that has functionality beyond Zeebe currently. The future for it is more about being able to embed it in services or to self host it as a certain service.

Thanks , guys!