Logging in Camunda Engine

Hey,

I’m playing around with log levels in Camunda (to improve the clear-history-oracle-scripts) and found that old loglevels are not consistent to documented levels.

In the past I added org.camunda.bpm.engine.DbSqlSession.level=FINE and org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.level=FINE which wrote all database-statement to the logs.

In Camunda 7.6 I couldn’t find the insert to the ACT_HI_OP_LOG table. See the attached logfile.modifyProcessInstance-persistence-entity.log (24.8 KB)

If I use org.camunda.bpm.engine.persistence.level=FINE I got a log with all database operations, but not the complete statements. See this logfile: modifyProcessInstance-persistence.log (18.2 KB)

Is there a way to combine both options and get the inserts to the Op-Logs in the log output? If not, what was the design decision to break the database log-level?

Cheers, Ingo

Hi Ingo,

For user operation logs the logger name is currently org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.history.event.UserOperationLogEntryEventEntity, see the mybatis mapping file. It is not consistent with namespace of the other mybatis mappers, though, which is why the logger org.camunda.bpm.engine.persistence does not cover it. By the way, this changed from 7.0.0 to 7.1.0 so your scripts must be really old :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Thorben

Hi Thorben,

thanks for clarification. In the old times there was no op-log, so I didn’t care about it and all other history entities were covered by the persistence-package.

I went through all the mappings and here are my favorite log categories for SQL logging:

org.camunda.bpm.engine.persistence
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.history.event
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.batch.history
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.batch
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cmmn.entity.repository
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cmmn.entity.runtime
org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.dmn.entity.repository
org.camunda.bpm.engine.history

Thanks, Ingo

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Ingo!

Hi @akshay.joshi,

in Spring Boot you have to add properties starting with logging.level.

In your application.properties it may look like

logging.level.org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity=DEBUG
logging.level.org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.history.event=TRACE

Hope this helps, Ingo

2 Likes