Use camunda-bpm-mail with Tomcat

Hi, everybody!
I’m trying to use camunda-bpm-mail with Tomcat (Camunda shared engine). I’ve found instructions for Wildfly here camunda-bpm-mail/shared-process-engine-wildfly.md at master · camunda-community-hub/camunda-bpm-mail · GitHub But there is no instruction for Camunda based on Tomcat.
I want my application react on incoming emails. I added camunda-bpm-mail-core-1.2.0.jar to apache-tomcat-9.0.43\lib. Also I added javax.mail and slf4j dependencies to my pom.xml. But where should I put mail-config.properties file?
Thank you in advance.

You can put the property file into the tomcat config folder %CATALINA_HOME%\conf. Before starting the Tomcat you set the following environment variable

MAIL_CONFIG = %CATALINA_HOME%\conf\mail-config.properties

I’ve also tried to use the connector mail-poll. But I had some conflicts with the libraries. Perhaps there are also some missing. I didn’t get it to work. Perhaps someone has an idea ? I use AdoptOpenJDK 11.0.11+9, Apache Tomcat/9.0.46, Camunda 7.15 together with camunda-bpm-mail-core in version 1.3.0. I put various libs of JavaMail and javax activation into the tomcat libs ordner but nothing worked. The last error I got was

org.camunda.bpm.extension.mail.poll.PollMailResponse.collectResponseParameters exception while transforming message to dto
	java.lang.ClassCastException: class org.apache.geronimo.javamail.handlers.TextPlainHandler cannot be cast to class javax.activation.DataContentHandler (org.apache.geronimo.javamail.handlers.TextPlainHandler is in unnamed module of loader org.apache.catalina.loader.ParallelWebappClassLoader @6f3798bc; javax.activation.DataContentHandler is in unnamed module of loader java.net.URLClassLoader @77888435)
		at javax.activation.MailcapCommandMap.getDataContentHandler(MailcapCommandMap.java:596)
		at javax.activation.MailcapCommandMap.createDataContentHandler(MailcapCommandMap.java:550)

Can someone help ?

Hi @Lenheln and @Lena! If you would be so kind as to open an issue in the repository, you may also get some answers there as well! :slight_smile:

The current open issue how Input (object mail) is passed for mail-poll and delete · Issue #36 · camunda-community-hub/camunda-bpm-mail · GitHub may also have some resources in the comments that might be of use to you!

As a note, this extension is currently abandoned and is seeking a maintainer, so responses from the broader GitHub community at large may be delayed.