Updating BPMN file does not update the database

Am a new user to Camunda. I created a working BPMN model which has an XOR gateway with an expression #{test == "true"}
I tried changing this to #{Test =="true"} and restarted my (Local Spring Boot) Server. Was expecting the model to automatically update the expression. But I still see the old lower case #{test == "true"}.

Could someone help me understand how can I deploy the model if server restart doesn’t pick it up automatically?

Can you upload the model and explain how you’re starting the process?

Actually using the same model as yours Nial :slight_smile:! I just replaced the expression value with pseudo since I was trying to understand the concept (instead of specifying the values on the XOR GW you are using)

I have a springboot server i setup using this
https://docs.camunda.org/get-started/spring-boot/project-setup/

Also I use RDS Aurora as a backend

Hi @SemperFi1970

Glad you’re getting some good use out of my video :slight_smile:

I’m wondering where you’re seeing this exactly?

The new process should be deployed automatically upon restart and a new version deployed - so is it possible that you’re looking at the old version? which i image would still be deployed.

Ok so here is what i was doing.

• I deployed your original mode with one change. There’s one more XOR GW after “Watch game with Niall” User task that checks with an expression ${UserStatus == "Ready"} and ${UserStatus == “NotReady”} (Accidentally used $ instead of #)
  • Started the server. Came up fine. Started the task and its waiting on “Watch game with Niall”
  • Updated the XOR expression to #{userstatus == "Ready"} and #{userstatus == “Ready”} (Made it Lower Case and fixed the $ to #)
  • Fired the complete case for “Assign case to Nial”
    I get this error. Feels like after updating the model and restarting the server - the model didn’t get updated in Camunda schemas:-
{
    "type": "RestException",
    "message": "Cannot complete task cb5060bf-f68f-11ea-bd92-fac848a92228: Unknown property used in expression: ${UserStatus == \"Ready\"}. Cause: Cannot resolve identifier 'UserStatus'"
}

Alrighty, can you upload the model and also the log from when you start up the engine?

I deleted the model :frowning: started working on your advanced tutorial. I do have the logs though

Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.javax.el.PropertyNotFoundException: Cannot resolve identifier ‘UserStatus’
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.juel.AstIdentifier.eval(AstIdentifier.java:83)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.juel.AstBinary$SimpleOperator.eval(AstBinary.java:27)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.juel.AstBinary.eval(AstBinary.java:106)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.juel.AstEval.eval(AstEval.java:50)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.juel.AstNode.getValue(AstNode.java:26)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.juel.TreeValueExpression.getValue(TreeValueExpression.java:114)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.ExpressionGetInvocation.invoke(ExpressionGetInvocation.java:40)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.DelegateInvocation.proceed(DelegateInvocation.java:58)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.DefaultDelegateInterceptor.handleInvocationInContext(DefaultDelegateInterceptor.java:92)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.delegate.DefaultDelegateInterceptor.handleInvocation(DefaultDelegateInterceptor.java:63)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.el.JuelExpression.getValue(JuelExpression.java:60)

NVM - stupid mistake on my part. My MVN build was pushing the bpmn file elsewhere. So the server restart wasn’t finding any new version to deploy,. Once I fixed the POM and it dropped in the server’s target/classes CLASSPATH - it deployed properly! @Niall

PS : I did want to check - if there’s a way to HOTDEPLOY other than using a REST API if I dont want an explicit Server Restart to update the model?
https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.13/reference/rest/deployment/post-deployment/