Unable to start Camunda modeler on Windows 10

I downloaded the Camunda modeler source code from GitHub - camunda/camunda-modeler at v4.2.0 and built it on a windows 10 system (64 bit). Was able to generate the binary and everything worked fine as expected.

Now I tired to transfer the .zip file containing the modeler binaries to another system (again windows 10 64 bit), by creating a python server (python -m http.server 8000) and hitting the url at the other system to download it.

On the other system, the executable file does not start at all. on double clicking the exe file, nothing happens. Triggering the exe file from windows command line also ends without any error/success message. And to top that, the exe file gets deleted after a couple of minutes.

One thing I noted is that the checksum (md5 and sha1) of the original and downloaded zip file is different. Can this be the cause to the issue.
Please point towards any log files that might help in this case.

1 Like

What is your use case? Why do you want to build Camunda Modeler 4.2.0 on your own instead of using the existing distro?

And to top that, the exe file gets deleted after a couple of minutes.

This sounds to me like what an antivirus could do. I’d suggest to check that first.

Please point towards any log files that might help in this case.

Log file should be created in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Camunda Modeler directory.

2 Likes

What is your use case? Why do you want to build Camunda Modeler 4.2.0 on your own instead of using the existing distro?

As part of our use case, we needed to auto populate a few properties for service task element. To achieve this, we modified the source code to achieve the same. This functionality is working fine. When we build the modified source code, the distro works as expected. Only if we transfer the zip file to any other system over HTTP, it ceases to start.

Log file should be created in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Camunda Modeler directory.

Checked this folder. There is a log file present. But this file only has a small reference to any potential error as below:

2020-11-25T14:02:15.517Z INFO app:flags found
2020-11-25T14:02:15.517Z INFO app:flags active {}
2020-11-25T14:02:15.522Z INFO app:error-tracking Cannot initialize Sentry: Crash reports not enabled.
2020-11-25T14:02:15.531Z INFO app:plugins searching for plugins/*/index.js in paths

Does this point to any potential error? Or is it really the antivirus that is messing with us here? How to confirm the antivirus part?

Sentry error is about our error tracking service. It should not block the application though.

To confirm the antivirus part, I’d suggest to disable it before you download and run the application. Then, if it works correctly, you know what the reason is. Also, you could check the antivirus log if it’s available.

On the other hand, your use case sounds like a goal achievable via the Templates. Please have a look at the Templates documentation. Using that feature, you would only have to share a single JSON file instead of building the entire application.

facing the same issue , not able to open the modeller.exe, nothing happens when clicking on it

have checked the logs file and I see no logs for today …weird …Any clue why would the modeller not start or open up ?