Tomcat doesnt start with custom db configuration in server.xml file

I was integrating mariadb in the camunda’s tomcat/conf/server.xml. (tomcat version is 8.0.47)
After integration of mariadb I started the server and it comes up accurately.

But second time when I start the server then tomcat doesnt start but it gives error.
After spending almost 5 hours I found that it was failing due to following property.

name=“historyCleanupBatchWindowStartTime” in bpm-platform.xml file
What is the importance of this “historyCleanupBatchWindowStartTime” property element?

Though after removing this property the tomcat startup properly without any error.

Though this property element is not there in the camunda tomcat 8.0.24 but it is there in the comunda tomcat 8.0.47.

What was the error?
And which Camunda version have you used?

I am using Camunda 7.8.0 and I was getting below error

13-Jul-2018 16:07:02.622 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start The required Server component failed to start so Tomcat is unable to start.
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardServer[8005]]
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:162)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:630)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:351)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:485)
Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.ProcessEngineException: ENGINE-08043 Exception while performing ‘deploy BPM platform’ => ‘Start process engine default’: ENGINE-03005 Execution of ‘UPDATE EverLivingJobEntity[42a80fdf-8686-11e8-b161-ecf4bb7e6b55]’ failed. Entity was updated by another transaction concurrently.
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.ContainerIntegrationLogger.exceptionWhilePerformingOperationStep(ContainerIntegrationLogger.java:312)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.spi.DeploymentOperation.execute(DeploymentOperation.java:132)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.jmx.MBeanServiceContainer.executeDeploymentOperation(MBeanServiceContainer.java:156)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.spi.DeploymentOperation$DeploymentOperationBuilder.execute(DeploymentOperation.java:212)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.tomcat.TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.deployBpmPlatform(TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.java:72)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.tomcat.TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.lifecycleEvent(TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.java:57)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:95)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:388)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setState(LifecycleBase.java:333)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:782)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:145)
… 7 more
Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.OptimisticLockingException: ENGINE-03005 Execution of ‘UPDATE EverLivingJobEntity[42a80fdf-8686-11e8-b161-ecf4bb7e6b55]’ failed. Entity was updated by another transaction concurrently.
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.EnginePersistenceLogger.concurrentUpdateDbEntityException(EnginePersistenceLogger.java:130)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.handleOptimisticLockingException(DbEntityManager.java:406)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.checkFlushResults(DbEntityManager.java:365)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.flushDbOperations(DbEntityManager.java:345)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.flushDbOperationManager(DbEntityManager.java:314)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.flush(DbEntityManager.java:286)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContext.flushSessions(CommandContext.java:203)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContext.close(CommandContext.java:132)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.CommandContextInterceptor.execute(CommandContextInterceptor.java:113)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.ProcessApplicationContextInterceptor.execute(ProcessApplicationContextInterceptor.java:66)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.interceptor.LogInterceptor.execute(LogInterceptor.java:30)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.ProcessEngineImpl.executeSchemaOperations(ProcessEngineImpl.java:131)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.ProcessEngineImpl.(ProcessEngineImpl.java:98)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cfg.ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl.buildProcessEngine(ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl.java:723)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.jmx.services.JmxManagedProcessEngineController.start(JmxManagedProcessEngineController.java:34)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.jmx.MBeanServiceContainer.startService(MBeanServiceContainer.java:73)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.jmx.MBeanServiceContainer.startService(MBeanServiceContainer.java:59)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.deployment.StartProcessEngineStep.performOperationStep(StartProcessEngineStep.java:112)
at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.spi.DeploymentOperation.execute(DeploymentOperation.java:116)
… 17 more

Could you try to disable the jdbcBatchProcessing and return history cleanup configuration?

I tried to set that false. but that also did not work for me. So, finally I remove the historyCleanupBatchWindowStartTime and it started working for me.

HI, Yana
Thanks for your help.
I set “jdbcBatchProcessing” false and kept the historyCleanupBatchWindowStartTime property as it is in the bpm-platform.xml file and now it is working fine,

Depending on the version of mariadb (for more info check the link in my previous reply) the jdbcBatchProcessing is not working and it should be disabled.

Hi, Yana
yes, ok thanks