To run embedded Camunda authorized or not

Hi, I have a use-case to solve and I am unsure about activating Camunda authorization or not. Any suggestions or hints about problems or missing points in my “solutions” are welcome.

Setup:

• The Camunda engine is embedded in a Spring-Boot module and accessed by Java-API
  • The users are using a custom GUI, not the Camunda tasklist (nor other Camunda webapps)
  • The custom GUI sends authenticated REST calls to the Spring-Boot module (Spring Security with LDAP)

Use-Case:

• We have a process with a human task
  • Every process instance belongs to a specific “category”
  • The category will probably be set as a process variable on the instance
  • One category represents “protected” tasks
  • These protected tasks must only be handled by a small group of employees
  • The other users of the system must not be able to load or process protected tasks
  • Even if they try to get a protected process instance by using its ID in a REST call or similar, they must not get it

First thought:

• Use Camunda authorized with LDAP integration
  • Offer filters for the different categories
  • Make the “protected” filter only visible for the “protected” user-group
  • And most important: secure “protected” process instances with a specific LDAP role (assigned to a specific group)
    • Because in my understanding, the filter is only about visibility. It is not a protection
    • By the way, I have no idea how to do this, but found a hint about implementing a TaskListener

Advantage: the “protected” process instances are protected by Camunda, no matter what the Spring-Boot module code does
Disadvantage: complexity to use Camunda authorized, protect specific instances etc.

Second thought:

• Use Camunda without authorization
  • Offer filters for the different categories
  • Apply and check user roles in the Spring-Boot module for whatever action is called. For example
    • Filter the filter list based on user roles
    • Check category against user roles when a process instance is requested

Advantage: run Camunda without authorization
Disadvantage: the “protected” process instances are only protected by the module code. If the code is buggy, a protected instance could be accessed by a non-authorized user.

Thanks
Stephan

1 Like

Hi Stephan,

I would go with the first option. With Authorization the task is secured in engine and also rest requests from every client needs the username and password.

Hope this helps, Ingo

Hi Ingo

Thanks for your answer. And how would I secure the process instances that need to be protected? Would I use a TaskListener for this?

Thanks
Stephan

Hi @burki,

I would use an execution listener to set the authorization required to secure the process instances.

Cheers, Ingo