Time-limited process execution

I have basically in the need of the same functionality depicted in this entry terminate-long-running-process.

The solution given by Niall looks very clean however I could not make it work for our process. Our process looks like the following simplified model

The subprocess XML definition is follwing:

<bpmn:subProcess id="SubProcess_0nuqv0k" name="Timer Subprocess" triggeredByEvent="true">
  <bpmn:endEvent id="EndEvent_0pkuw91">
    <bpmn:incoming>SequenceFlow_1ett7tf</bpmn:incoming>
  </bpmn:endEvent>
  <bpmn:sequenceFlow id="SequenceFlow_1ett7tf" sourceRef="IntermediateThrowEvent_18iuwaz" targetRef="EndEvent_0pkuw91" />
  <bpmn:intermediateCatchEvent id="IntermediateThrowEvent_18iuwaz" name="GlobalTimerCatch">
    <bpmn:outgoing>SequenceFlow_1ett7tf</bpmn:outgoing>
    <bpmn:timerEventDefinition>
      <bpmn:timeDuration xsi:type="bpmn:tFormalExpression">PT3M</bpmn:timeDuration>
    </bpmn:timerEventDefinition>
  </bpmn:intermediateCatchEvent>
</bpmn:subProcess>

The problem is the event subprocess does not catch any timer event and finish process. I tried with terminate end event but it did not bring anything. The process can stay indefinitely long in a user task and also after a transition the subprocess timer is not kicked.

Can it be the case that we start the process upon a message triggered from our rest controller or do I miss something else?

Thanks in advance for any help or hint.

Can you explain this in more detail? there is no way the process should still be running after the timer has fired

Hi @tunch,

I see that you are using “Timer Intermediate Catching Event” where you should use a "Timer Start Event"

Thanks @hassang for pointing to the problem. That was really it.

I did not know that we need a timer start event in this sub-process. Hence I even tried to put the whole model part in a sub-process including the timer event sub-process but it also did not work.

Now I know why and with the change it does work as I expect.

Well spotted @hassang ! :slight_smile: