Standard war deployment example fails

The example mentioned at https://github.com/camunda/camunda-bpm-examples/tree/master/spring-boot-starter/example-war
fails on deploying on tomcat with error

2018-04-12 10:54:01.395 WARN 14120 — [on(3)-127.0.0.1] ationConfigEmbeddedWebApplicationContext : Exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh attempt: org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name ‘org.camunda.bpm.spring.boot.starter.CamundaBpmAutoConfiguration$ProcessEngineConfigurationImplDependingConfiguration’: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through field ‘processEngineConfigurationImpl’; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name ‘processEngineConfigurationImpl’ defined in class path resource [org/camunda/bpm/spring/boot/starter/CamundaBpmConfiguration.class]: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method ‘processEngineConfigurationImpl’ parameter 0; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanNotOfRequiredTypeException: Bean named ‘connectProcessEnginePlugin’ is expected to be of type ‘org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cfg.ProcessEnginePlugin’ but was actually of type 'org.camunda.connect.plugin.impl.ConnectProcessEnginePlugin’
2018-04-12 10:54:01.395 INFO 14120 — [on(3)-127.0.0.1] o.s.s.concurrent.ThreadPoolTaskExecutor : Shutting down ExecutorService ‘camundaTaskExecutor’

Hi @knightmanish,

Could you please try to run the example with cargo plugin:
mvn clean verify org.codehaus.cargo:cargo-maven2-plugin:run
and tell us if it works.

Best regards,
Yana

1 Like

Hi @yana.vasileva,

It works with cargo plugin. Although, not with the first suggested approach of
“build the WAR by calling mvn clean install, deploy it in Tomcat”
Do you know any possible reasons for that?

Kind Regards,
Manish

Hi Manish,

I tried it and it works for me.
Did you change something, if yes, what did you change?

Best regards,
Yana

Hi Yana,

I was deploying .war on Apache Tomcat Version 8.0.42, and having the error metioned above.
I updated Apache Tomcat Version to 8.5.30, and it seems to be working all fine now.

Thanks and Regards,
Manish

1 Like

Happy to hear that!

I had some camunda specific settings in Tomcat server.xml with respect to old spring related implementation, and it was causing the issue, as it was clashing with the new springboot related dependencies. I got a fresh copy of Tomcat, and it seems to be working fine for both Apache Tomcat versions 8.0 and 8.5.

1 Like