Quick Start Guide out of date & 404 on external form

Hello,
thanks a lot for the detailed Quick Start Guide for the Camunda Platform. Following the guide works well until the last part of “Add a User Task to the Process (4/6)”.

In this step of the guide, a user fills in form fields. However, following the guide using the latest Camunda Platform version (v7.15.0, using Docker), instead I see a button Open external form
Clicking the button results in a 404 error.

Is the external form a new default (and the guide is out of date) or did I misconfigure something by accident? Can I set whether an inline or external form is used explicitly in the modeler?

The following issue might be related:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Christoph

Camunda Modeler: Version 4.7.0 (4.7.0.7808)
Camunda Platform: v7.15.0, installed using Docker (camunda/camunda-bpm-platform:run-latest)

Hi @chrisma
Nice to see you on the forum :slight_smile:

Can you upload your model?

Thanks for the reply, Niall!
Your question for the model file reminded me that the Quick Start Guide also contains links to downloads for the individual steps. I diffed the models and my model’s Approve Payment activity had the Form Key attribute set, which apparently makes the engine search for a non-existent form.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 14.25.44

The Form Fields attributes seem to be ignored in this case. Is my understanding that setting the Form Key and the Form Fields is mutually exclusive, correct?
If so, maybe a warning could be issued if both are set. The same could be helpful when setting a Form Key that does not resolve to a an associated form.

Thanks!

This is a good suggestion

In fact we’re right now in the middle of redesigning how UI can be built with Camunda. You can check out what the next iteration is going to look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXt5FzW4eMA&list=PLJG25HlmvsOVssaiPmavxv3htN_dXS3BW&index=2&t=43s

The goal is to probably remove/hide the “form feilds” in favor of a drag and drop form builder.

1 Like