New installation of Camunda fails to start on second try

I just installed the 7.8 Tomcat bundle of Camunda on Mariadb 10.2.11 and Windows 10. The install went smoothly and the Camunda came up fine. I could log in and move around the app fine. I see that it has a demo invoice workflow. When shutdown and then restart Camunda it crashes with the following exception in the log:

16-Jan-2018 12:08:05.509 INFO [main] org.camunda.commons.logging.BaseLogger.logInfo CNCT-01004 Discovered provider for connector id ‘http-connector’ and class ‘org.camunda.connect.httpclient.impl.HttpConnectorImpl’: 'org.camunda.connect.httpclient.impl.HttpConnectorProviderImpl’
16-Jan-2018 12:08:05.525 INFO [main] org.camunda.commons.logging.BaseLogger.logInfo CNCT-01004 Discovered provider for connector id ‘soap-http-connector’ and class ‘org.camunda.connect.httpclient.soap.impl.SoapHttpConnectorImpl’: 'org.camunda.connect.httpclient.soap.impl.SoapHttpConnectorProviderImpl’
16-Jan-2018 12:08:08.162 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start The required Server component failed to start so Tomcat is unable to start.
_ org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardServer[8005]]_
_ at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:162)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:630)_
_ at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)_
_ at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)_
_ at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)_
_ at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:351)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:485)_
Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.ProcessEngineException: ENGINE-08043 Exception while performing ‘deploy BPM platform’ => ‘Start process engine default’: ENGINE-03005 Execution of ‘UPDATE EverLivingJobEntity[9ef5820d-fadf-11e7-9f96-d0577b48d303]’ failed. Entity was updated by another transaction concurrently.
_ at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.ContainerIntegrationLogger.exceptionWhilePerformingOperationStep(ContainerIntegrationLogger.java:312)_
_ at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.spi.DeploymentOperation.execute(DeploymentOperation.java:132)_
_ at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.jmx.MBeanServiceContainer.executeDeploymentOperation(MBeanServiceContainer.java:156)_
_ at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.spi.DeploymentOperation$DeploymentOperationBuilder.execute(DeploymentOperation.java:212)_
_ at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.tomcat.TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.deployBpmPlatform(TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.java:72)_
_ at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.tomcat.TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.lifecycleEvent(TomcatBpmPlatformBootstrap.java:57)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:95)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:388)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setState(LifecycleBase.java:333)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:782)_
_ at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:145)_
_ … 7 more_
Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.OptimisticLockingException: ENGINE-03005 Execution of ‘UPDATE EverLivingJobEntity[9ef5820d-fadf-11e7-9f96-d0577b48d303]’ failed. Entity was updated by another transaction concurrently.
_ at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.EnginePersistenceLogger.concurrentUpdateDbEntityException(EnginePersistenceLogger.java:130)_
_ at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.handleOptimisticLockingException(DbEntityManager.java:406)_

catalina.2018-01-16.log (22.8 KB)

I just tried the installation on Postgres and it works fine, no issue with restarting the server. I was hoping to use MariaDB.

Also the first time I do a start on Mariadb i see these errors in the log:
16-Jan-2018 17:01:26.535 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.camunda.commons.logging.BaseLogger.logInfo SPIN-01009 Discovered Spin data format: org.camunda.spin.impl.json.jackson.format.JacksonJsonDataFormat[name = application/json]
16-Jan-2018 17:01:26.551 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.camunda.bpm.example.invoice.DemoDataGenerator.createUsers Generating demo data for invoice showcase
16-Jan-2018 17:01:28.613 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.camunda.bpm.example.invoice.InvoiceProcessApplication.startProcessInstances Start 3 instances of Invoice Receipt, version 1
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.895 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal One or more listeners failed to start. Full details will be found in the appropriate container log file
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.895 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context [/camunda-invoice] startup failed due to previous errors
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.895 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.camunda.commons.logging.BaseLogger.logWarn ENGINE-07017 Calling undeploy() on process application that is not deployed.
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.910 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [camunda-invoice] appears to have started a thread named [MariaDb-bulk-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:175)
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack.awaitFulfill(SynchronousQueue.java:458)
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack.transfer(SynchronousQueue.java:362)
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue.take(SynchronousQueue.java:924)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.getTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1067)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1127)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.910 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [camunda-invoice] appears to have started a thread named [MariaDb-bulk-2] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack.awaitFulfill(SynchronousQueue.java:458)
java.util.concurrent.SynchronousQueue$TransferStack.transfer(SynchronousQueue.java:362)
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.910 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [camunda-invoice] appears to have started a thread named [MariaDb-bulk-3] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.910 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [camunda-invoice] appears to have started a thread named [MariaDb-bulk-4] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.910 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [camunda-invoice] appears to have started a thread named [MariaDb-bulk-5] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
16-Jan-2018 17:01:29.910 INFO [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Deployment of web application directory C:\AI_Foundry\camunda-bpm-tomcat-7.8.0\server\apache-tomcat-8.0.47\webapps\camunda-invoice has finished in 5,891 ms

@Bill_Gosse, I’m not sure if the above error is related, but MariaDB is currently only supported on version 10.0 (see this section of our documentation). Does it also behave like this on version 10.0?

Cheers,
Mat

So I’m using Mariadb 10.2.11 which is the latest version. Is that to new? I can try backing down to 10.0 and see what happens.

Ok, I installed Mariadb 10.0.33 and everything appears to be working fine in terms of restarting the server. It would be nice to know what change in Mariadb 10.2 that causes the issue. Also, does Camunda favor anyone open source database over another?

Hello Bill,

Maria 10.2 is in our plans - https://app.camunda.com/jira/browse/CAM-8486

Best regards,
Yana

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

I get the same error when starting Camunda 7.8.0 the first time against Oracle 12c.

Hi

This thread may be of interest. Consider turning off batch JDBC statements…

regards

Rob

1 Like

Thanks, Rob . I was thinking that wouldn’t affect me because I’m on Oracle 12c server. I found that I was using an Oracle 11 JDBC driver. I upgraded that and it works for me now.