Multi instance collection data to big

The data returned (Member List) from a service task (Fetch Data) that contains the collection data for the multi instance sub process (Member Salary Update) is to big to fit into a process variable. What is the best way to work around this issue?

Start a new process instance for each element, i.e. do not use multi instance feature. Or save the results somewhere and process them in a batch manner. Your requirements will show the way! :slight_smile:

Thanks for feedback but this will lead to the below model - which I was trying to avoid:

Problems are:

1. No visibility of child processes in the parent.
  2. Child notification will get lost while in the “Check if all child processes are completed” service task.
    Do you perhaps have a suggestion on how to improve on the above pattern?

Your problems seem to be a design smell to me. Are you sure you must process the mass data as a process? What is the “process” here?

You could do the following:

1. Fetch the data set and save it somewhere (DB?) Assign an ID to the data set.
  2. Start a batch that would process the data set. This even might be an activity of type “external task” – that way you’d stay in the context of your process.
  3. At the end of the batch, send a “completed” message to the process.

IMO business processes is not the right tool for mass data processing.

What you are suggesting is exactly what i am trying to achieve with my first model at the top: using camunda external tasks as a ‘batching mechanism’. But instead of processing ALL in a single worker I want to create/register an external task per member update. The limitation in camunda (modeler?) is that i need to provide a process variable containing the collection data to iterate over to create the multi-instance sub process and this collection is quite big and does not fit in a process variable. To overcome this is there a way to call a service from within a multi-instance collection reference: ${call-some-service-to-get-data-instead-of-using-process-variable}?

What do you mean by “does not fit in a process variable”? Java collections can hold any number of elements. Where exactly does the error occur? The only place I can think of is the serialized variable which is stored in the camunda DB. This might put a limitation on the size.

Why do you want to process the elements individually?