Modeler "Issue Commenting"?

Any thoughts on extension that allows users to Comment/Discuss on Process?

Anyone else have need for this? Would allow users to similar provide comments/feedback/discussion about a specific process (similar to how Google Docs works with its Review Comments).

You mean something like bpmn-js-embedded-comments, just as part of the Modeler?

Interesting question here: Where to store the comments?

that is a great POC, but I think does not capture the full ‘in practice’ needs (at least in our experience).

Working Thoughts:

1. Comments are not only about the elements in a single version of a Process; comments are applicable across versions of the process and could apply to one to many elements at the same time.

2. Comments can be about the Process as a whole rather than an individual element. Refer back to number 1 above.

3. Comments may contain information about issues, ideas, suggestions, proposed changes, use cases, future work, to do lists, collaboration, etc.

4. Comments should not necessarily have to be made inside of a BPMN modeler. Many users may want to make comments/“contributions” outside of the modeller.

5. “Comments” share a very similar pattern to Development Issue Queues/Comments.

Working Ideas for “Where to Store Comments”:

1. GitHub / GitLab: Given the “version” control nature of Processes, there is a great opportunity to leverage applications such as GitHub or GitLab. Ever Process becomes their own Repository: Each “Release” or “Tag” in the Repository can be a Process Version, and Process Comments are GitLab/GitHub Issues with discussions becoming the comments inside of the issues.
    1.1. Inside of the Modeler, a new Tab in the Properties window could be created that allows a user to login to GitHub/GitLab, and view work within the issue queue. Could even strip away and/or inject CSS to simplify the view.
    1.2. Issues can that specifically tied to a element could have a reference in the Issue Name such as Element: “UserTask_0ntulzq”. There is obviously some reference breaking aspects such as when you change the Task type and the Unique name changes. We could also flip the reference around and store the Issue Number in the BPMN similar to how you have stored the comment in the BPMN with bpmn-js-embedded-comments.

2. Create a Micro-Service for comments on Processes and Elements with a similar design to how Google Docs function. The Service would allow users to comment on the Process and the Elements inside of the process, all within the Modeler. The Service would handle the body of the comment, the user who created it, subsequent comments/discussion within the first comment, and a Status such as Resolved / Un-Resolved.

Hello @StephenOTT and @nikku

I realise this is a VERY old thread, but never the less I have a need for something like this.

I need collaboration among process instance participants. Something like the History tab in Tasklist but process instance wide and not only for the task at hand. A User Task participant can leave a message for any subsequent User task participant to read and even add a new comment. True collaboration as the process progresses through it’s life cycle.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks so much

Hi @eugene,

old topic and maybe wrong forum section, as it has nothing to do with the modeler.

But, I would use process variables to store and show the comments. Maybe one variable to edit in each task form or a list of variables for readonly access?

Hope this helps, Ingo

Anyone else have need for this? Would allow users to similar provide comments/feedback/discussion about a specific process (similar to how Google Docs works with its Review Comments).

We’ve built Cawemo, a collaborative modeling solution. It should serve exactly this purpose.

1 Like