Message Start Event in SubProcesses

Hi there,
I’m trying to model a message start event inside a subprocess. I’ve tried it in both Camunda Modeler 4.8 as well as bpmn.io online. I can change a start event inside a participant to become a message start event, but I cannot do the same for a subprocess inside a participant. If I click on the wrench symbol it lets me only change the start event into an intermediate throw or an end event.
I found in the official documentation a hint, that it should be possible in general to have message start events in a subprocess
https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.15/reference/bpmn20/events/message-events/
It is also working, if I do it in XML and switch to the WYSIWYG view afterwards.
Is this a bug in the modeler?
Any help appreciated.
Regards
René

Hello @rpeinl ,

the subprocess will always start at a blanc start event, so using another start event will not make sense.
What is the behaviour the subprocess should have.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Dear Jonathan
the idea is, that I have multiple subprocesses inside a participant (participant A). The first subprocess is triggered by the start event of the parent process. However, after the first subprocess has finished, the process moves on to a different participant (participant B) which in turn should trigger one of several possible subprocesses in participant A. I thought that using a message end event (in participant B) together with a message start event (in participant A) would be a logical choice for this situation. Do you suggest a different approach?
Anyway, either it is allowed (than it should be possible to model it), or it is not allowed at all (than you should update your documentation).
Regards
René

Hello @rpeinl ,

just to make sure we are talking about the same: Could you provide me with a process model here? Screenshot or BPMN file is both ok.

Jonathan

MessageStartEvent_demo.bpmn (14.7 KB)

Dear @jonathan.lukas
maybe this model shows it even better. I’m not sure whether the flow arrows technically make a difference in Camunda, or whether they are just for the human reader, to get a better overview.
Regards
René
MessageStartEvent_demo_2.bpmn (16.0 KB)

Hi @rpeinl,

Sending and receiving messages represent the communication between different participants “Pools” and can not be used to connect objects within the same pool.

Event sub-process is the place where start message can be used within the same pool but its usage is different than normal sub-process

Below link shows some use cases of event sub-process
https://camunda.com/best-practices/building-flexibility-into-bpmn-models/#_event_sub_processes

1 Like

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I need. It’s so simple.
As I said, I’m having exactly that use case that I need to skip to and forth between different participant pools.