Linking multiple Collaboroation BPMN

I have a huge set of processes that are grouped into smaller BPMN diagrams. Each BPMN diagrams have their swim lanes and activities modeled for that group. How do I link multiple BPMN diagrams to show the bigger picture? For eg: say order.bpmn and fulfillment.bpmn are the bpmn files that represent the groups. Once the order group is completed the fulfillment will kick in, but these are now two independent diagrams that can be linked during the development, but may not give the top level picture where it should show ,after order, fulfillment will be completed. These diagrams have there own collaboration ids. How do I link both of them at a higher level diagram? Can I crate higher level diagram and link them using the collaboration ids?

Hi @adat,

technical answer: The camunda modeler has no such feature. Since BPMN is a standard, you can load bpmn-files created by the modeler in any other standard conform software. And there are products on the market that allow “combining” diagrams, as far as I know.

non-technical answer: I would not necessarily recommend to do so. Instead, I would suggest to make a new diagram that contains the overall process in a more abstract way. We call these diagrams “strategic model”. So you can show that model to other people and if the details are of interest, you have the detailed (and maybe technical) diagrams. But of course, that is a bit of extra work…

Best regards, Ragnar

1 Like

Hi @adat,

if your end event in the order process sends a message to start the fullment process, you can copy and paste both pools into one diagram and connect them with a message flow like here:

https://cawemo.com/shares/72b25ce4-0e64-413c-8fed-087b65e70ee9

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Hi Ragara,

Thank you for the detailed answer… really appreciate.

ad

Hi Ingo

Thank you for the response and the mock diagram. I was also think in the same lines to have a higer level link.

Ad

Hi Ingo

I modeled the flow using the Signal event instead of Message Event. I am yet to build the deployment file. When the process flow runs in Camunda will the dashboard show the flow from one to another when it is linked using the Signal throw event and Signal catch event?
The business wants to see the flow from the top level and drill down to see what path it is taking. Curious whether dashboard can give that feature.

Thank
AD

Hi @adat,

signal events are broadcasts in the BPMN specification. https://stage.docs.camunda.org/manual/latest/reference/bpmn20/events/signal-events/

Do you really use this broadcast or did you accidantially use signals for messages?

Message flows are only available if you use a one-to-one communication between single process instances. The Camunda modeler supress the connection of signal throw/catch events.

Hope this helps, Ingo

Hi Igno

Thank you for replying.

In my scenario it is one to many, so I was thinking signal would be a better choice. I am syet to build a prototype to test if that shows up in the hierarchy. As per the Comunda cockpit documentation, it should add the parent filter automatically

https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.5/webapps/cockpit/bpmn/process-definition-view/
Thanks,
AD