Just control-click to open bpmn-file of subprocess

Hello, i need camunda modeller just for documentation and for discussion with customers.
The BPMN will grow fast and i need subprocesses - ok so far.
But these subprocesses do not have to be stored in the same file.
I have to use separate files for each subprocess.
I need (and i think many other customers too) a simple way to click on a subprocess-block to open the extra file.
The is no active call or other automatic needed - just to display the subprocess in a new window.
Is there a possibility to do that - or when will this feature be integrated?
Thanks in advance
Martin

1 Like

This feature is not available in the desktop modeler, but it is available as part of our web based modeler Cawemo.

Cawemo also has other functionality you might find useful for sharing URLs of models and also collaboration. It’s also free to use.

Cawemo is nice, but doesn’t have the features required by process engineers of the Desktop Modeler (Properties panel missing). What about the following “simple” implementation of the wished feature:

1. One have to put all subprocesss (called processes) in the same folder as the parent process.
  2. One has to name the called process files exactly as the process definition key.
  3. In the context menu of Call activities a new entry “Open called process diagram” is inserted
  4. A click on this entry opens the bpmn-File in a new Tab or activates the tab, if the file is already loaded in the modeler

I think, this should be an easy to implement feature, which would be very handy for process engineers.

Hello Björn,

YES - i think this is a solution.

I’m new to the camunda modeller - so i have to ask some things:

In detail:

all bpmn-files in one folder - ok

file-name = process definition key - hmmm - do you mean the General \ ID ? or where is the edit-field for the definition key?

call activities a new entry “Open called process diagram” - sorry - where are the call activities in the GUI of camunda modeller?

open the file or show it if it is allready open - yes - thats fine

Can you send me an email when the new version is online - please.

Thank you very much

Martin Achterholt-Siebler

Leiter Softwareentwicklung net-base, Freiburg

Hi Martin

Just to clarify: I’m not working at Camunda and not able to develop the proposed solution. It was just my attempt to support your wish and to concretize the requirements.

Concerning your questions I attached a screenshot with numbers:

1. This is a call activity. It is just a normal activity but with the screw driver-symbol you can define it as a call activity (more on call activities).
  2. In the properties of this call activity I defined the name of the called element (it corresponds with the “Process Id” (= Process Definition Key) of the called process).
  3. This name is identical to the BPMN file, in which the called process is defined.

@Camunda-Modeler-Developers: What do you think about the suggestion?

:wink: hello Björn,

oh - i’m sorry - may be the wish was the reason for …

and thank you for the screenshots!

cu on xing …

Martin

Hi Niall,

I have also been experimenting with the Sub-Process element, and have been trying to get the modeler to switch between the “Collapsed” and “Expanded” views. I found a section in the documents that seems to imply that the ability to switch between Collapsed and Expanded views differs between modelers, and that the camunda modeler perhaps does not yet have this capability yet.

So when you said “This feature is not available in the desktop modeler, but it is available as part of our web based modeler” did you mean that cawemo is able to switch between the “Collapsed” and “Expanded” views of a SubProcess element?

I just created a small diagram with a SubProcess in cawemo, but was unable to switch between the “Collapsed” and “Expanded” views (tried all possible variants of a mouse click). Can you direct me to any documentation that gives more information about this aspect please?

Thanks for your help!

• Sanjay

Hi,

That feature has been removed…See here

Regards

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Sanjay