Issues with upgrading Camunda BPM from 7.6 to 7.7

Hi all,

I am upgrading Camunda BPM Engine from 7.6 to 7.7. I found out that column ‘history_ttl_’ was newly added to table “act_re_procdef” in 7.7 and this column is not getting created when upgrade. when try to create a workflow in 7.7 after upgrade, I am getting following error message. This is only issue with upgrade. Could someone let me know if this is a bug?

Error updating database. Cause: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “history_ttl_” of relation “act_re_procdef” does not exist

Position: 193

The error may involve org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.persistence.entity.ProcessDefinitionEntity.insertProcessDefinition-Inline

The error occurred while setting parameters

SQL: insert into monapp.ACT_RE_PROCDEF(ID_, CATEGORY_, NAME_, KEY_, VERSION_, DEPLOYMENT_ID_, RESOURCE_NAME_, DGRM_RESOURCE_NAME_, HAS_START_FORM_KEY_, SUSPENSION_STATE_, TENANT_ID_, VERSION_TAG_, HISTORY_TTL_, REV_) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, 1 )

Cause: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “history_ttl_” of relation “act_re_procdef” does not exist

at org.apache.ibatis.exceptions.ExceptionFactory.wrapException(ExceptionFactory.java:26) ~[mybatis-3.2.8.jar:3.2.8]

at org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSession.update(DefaultSqlSession.java:154) ~[mybatis-3.2.8.jar:3.2.8]

at org.apache.ibatis.session.defaults.DefaultSqlSession.insert(DefaultSqlSession.java:141) ~[mybatis-3.2.8.jar:3.2.8]

at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.sql.DbSqlSession.executeInsertEntity(DbSqlSession.java:146) ~[camunda-engine-7.7.0.jar:7.7.0]

at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.sql.DbSqlSession.insertEntity(DbSqlSession.java:138) ~[camunda-engine-7.7.0.jar:7.7.0]

at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.AbstractPersistenceSession.executeDbOperation(AbstractPersistenceSession.java:41) ~[camunda-engine-7.7.0.jar:7.7.0]

at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.db.entitymanager.DbEntityManager.flushDbOperationManager(DbEntityManager.java:303) ~[camunda-engine-7.7.0.jar:7.7.0]

… 69 common frames omitted

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “history_ttl_” of relation “act_re_procdef” does not exist

Hi @Gina_Choi,

Please follow the official migration guide. There the procedure for updating your database is explained in detail.
The Camunda Engine won’t upgrade your database automatically.

Cheers,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your response. Our use case for Camunda engine is Application with Embedded Process Engine. Do we still need to run Database Updates as mentioned in the document?

Quoting Update from 7.6 to 7.7 | docs.camunda.org

Every Camunda installation requires a database schema update.