Install overall Camunda IDE with Modeler and Eclipse

Hi,

I am trying to install Camunda from scratch.
I have installed Camunda Modeler and integrated Camunda environment with Tomcat.
But now I would like to have an integrated Java IDE to build the code around my process, and build the War file to run on Camunda Process Engine.
The only videos show the old deprecated Eclipse IDE with Camunda plugin.
Modeler only creates BPMN, DMN and CMN files, it does not manage Java, HTML needed to run a project with integration and web UI.

Thank you

It’s actually really easy - you can follow this more recent video tutorial to see exactly how it works

Hi Niall,

Thanks for your quick response.

I checked this video, but it is not an explanation of how you setup your IDE, it is a presentation about Camunda, with a Demo about running a BPM process, and the IDE is already setup when the demo starts. Did you give me the right link?

You don’t need to change your IDE at all actually - what that video indicates is that by setting the new Camunda Desktop Modeler as the default application for .bpmn/.dmn/.cmmn files they can be edited externally from your IDE while they remain in your IDE project.

So while we used to require Eclipse as an IDE - there is no IDE requirement at all. Although maven helps. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I understand, but I am trying to run your Twitter showcase from your Github.
In this sample project, there are some Java files to work with Twitter. and they refer to some packages from camunda e.g. org.camunda.bpm.engine.delegate
How can i have an integrated IDE to have everything all together, to build my War file?
Because I do not develop in Java for 8 years, i have been working on other BPM software, which does include any development in Java.
So i was expecting some tutorial to build this developer IDE, which was the purpose of the video I watched, but this video was only for the old solution.
There is no video explaining the new solution.
Are you saying that it’s up to me to find it out, and you do not provide anymore support for developers to start with Camunda?

Not at all, in fact it should be a lot easier for developers now that it doesn’t restrict tooling.

Like the majority the consulting projects, the twitter showcase uses maven to build and maintain the required libraries. The pom.xml describes those requirements. So if you build the project with Maven it should download the requirements including the camunda engine.

Can you let me know specifically which IDE and version you’re using and how you’re building the project. Also i’d like to see the error you’re getting

The thing is i don’t do Java for a while…
And this is exactly why i did not really like it, it is not easy to start, documentation is not always easy to find, find the right libraries, the right plugin, on the right versions…
Anyway, apart from my existential problems, I am using Eclipse Version: Neon.1 Release (4.6.1), with Java EE IDE for Web Developers (WTP), so i can create Web Projects.
Then i started copying the files from Github to my Eclipse project.
And because I do not have the right libraries in Eclipse, it throws Compiling errors that it does not know some the references i make in Java files.
It might help if i integrate maven with this project…
Some of the things i struggle with are probably pretty basic, but that does not change the fact that i am struggling with starting… And it’s not like i have just started developing now :slight_smile:

Well luckily enough, i’m pretty sure Neon 1 has maven integrated by default.
So if you’ll need to clone the project and import it as a maven project. Once that bit is complete, all you need to do is right click on the project select “Run As” and select “Maven Install”. this will download all dependent java classes.

I do understand that if you haven’t been using Java in a while this might seem like Camunda has created some kind of barrier but actually this is all fairly generic and actually out of scope for what Camunda would be responsible for documenting. Mainly because this particular process happens to require maven, but that isn’t the case for other projects.

If you would rather create a project from scratch - which i feel would be a lot more useful for you - you should follow the getting started guide.

2 Likes

Well, finally i managed to configure maven.
The pom.xml file on the Getting-started tutorial has some error, it would not build. Then i downloaded the one from Git, and it worked.

Glad to hear it!
I’ll take a look at the getting started guide and try to fix any problems with it.

Thanks!
My IDE is still not behaving properly, but now this is an IDE Situation.
The context sensitive help is not working on a Maven Project, so when i code Java, it’s like coding in Notepad :frowning:

follow the this link it will help you to configure maven on eclipse https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.2/guides/user-guide/#process-applications-maven-project-templates-archetypes