Incorrect Spring Setup?

Hi,

I have a setup where I have a Spring application context which specifies a processEngine, and creates the runtimeService, among other services like this:

<!-- bind the process engine service as Spring Bean -->
<bean name="processEngineService" class="org.camunda.bpm.BpmPlatform" factory-method="getProcessEngineService" />

<!-- bind the default process engine as Spring Bean -->
<bean name="processEngine" factory-bean="processEngineService" factory-method="getDefaultProcessEngine" />

<bean id="repositoryService"   factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getRepositoryService"/>
<bean id="runtimeService"      factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getRuntimeService"/>
<bean id="taskService"         factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getTaskService"/>
<bean id="externalTaskService" factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getExternalTaskService"/>
<bean id="historyService"      factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getHistoryService"/>
<bean id="identityService"     factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getIdentityService" />
<bean id="managementService"   factory-bean="processEngine" factory-method="getManagementService"/>

I also have a bpm-platform.xml file that specifies a processEngine:

<process-engine name="default">
    <job-acquisition>default</job-acquisition>  <configuration>org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.cfg.StandaloneProcessEngineConfiguration</configuration>
<datasource>java:jdbc/ProcessEngine</datasource>

<properties>
  <property name="history">full</property>

Is this a conflicting setup, where I have the processEngine being used as the one defined in the bpm-platform.xml, and the runtimeService being based off of a completely different process engine?

Or does the getProcessEngineService factory-method get the configuration from my bpm-platform.xml?

Thanks!

Process engine bootstrap configuration should be exists only one place. If you are using spring beans xml to configure process engine then bpmplatform xml not required

Thanks!

I’ve removed my processes.xml file, and put the configuration in my Spring applicationContext.xml.

However, now it’s not invoking my @PostDeploy method anymore in my application:

@ProcessApplication
public class MyEngineProcessApplication extends SpringProcessApplication implements 
InitializingBean {
    	@PostDeploy
     	public void onDeploymentFinished(ProcessEngine processEngine) {
        }

@Override
        public void afterPropertiesSet() throws Exception {
            System.out.println("AFTER PROPS SET");
        }
}

Do you know why this isn’t being invoked anymore?
The bean is being created still, as I see the “AFTER PROPS SET” log.
The bean is defined in my spring applicationContext.xml.

Thanks,
Galen

It seems as if bpm-platform.xml is still required:

12-Sep-2019 08:11:08.889 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start The required Server component failed to start so Tomcat is unable to start.
 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardServer[8005]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException(LifecycleBase.java:441)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:198)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:682)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:350)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:492)
Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.ProcessEngineException: ENGINE-08043 Exception while performing 'deploy BPM platform' => 'Parsing bpm-platform.xml file': Unable to find bpm-platform.xml. This file is necessary for deploying the camunda BPM platform: bpmPlatformXmlSource is null
        at org.camunda.bpm.container.impl.ContainerIntegrationLogger.exceptionWhilePerformingOperationStep(ContainerIntegrationLogger.java:315)

If I put in an empty bpm-platform.xml file, Camunda seems to auto-fill it out with default process engine…

So how do I do the pure spring deployment I desire? In the case where Camunda auto-populates the process engine in bpm-platform.xml, there is then a conflict (extra) process engine.

Thanks,
Galen

To follow up on this. The only way I was able to get this setup to work, was if I keep bpm-platform.xml, but have it contain ONLY

<job-executor>
<job-acquisition name=“default”>

So only the “job-executor” definition.

I guess this works, but is still sort of a “hybrid” solution, where the job-executor is still not defined using Spring.

Thanks,
Galen