How to deploy Spring Boot archetype 7.9.0 to external Wildfly

Hi everyone,

I’ve used the org.camunda.bpm.archetype:camunda-archetype-spring-boot:7.9.0 archetype to set up a new project in IntelliJ IDEA. The Project SDK is 1.8.0_172 and Maven Version 3.
I started the “CamundaApplication” and the project works fine so far.

Now I’d like to remove the internal Tomcat Web-Application Server and deploy the project as a .war to an external Wildfly 11 Server.

What I’ve done so far to achieve this:

• change to war in the pom.xml

• exclude tomcat inside the dependency of org.camunda.bpm.springboot as following in the pom.xml:

<exclusions>
              <exclusion>
                  <groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
                  <artifactId>spring-boot-starter-tomcat</artifactId>
              </exclusion>
          </exclusions>

• classify one dependency as provided, as it gets shipped with the wildfly instance itself:

<dependency>
          <groupId>org.camunda.bpm.springboot</groupId>
          <artifactId>camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-rest</artifactId>
          <version>${camundaSpringBoot.version}</version>
          <scope>provided</scope>
      </dependency>

• create run configurations for the deployment with maven after adding the maven plugin to the pom.xml:
    clean wildfly:deploy

After starting the Wildfly, I run the maven Run Configuration and receive the following output:

[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD SUCCESS
[INFO] Total time: 16.121 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2018-07-06T10:14:07+02:00
[INFO] Final Memory: 136M/1235M
10:14:07.823 [Thread-3] INFO  o.s.c.a.AnnotationConfigApplicationContext - Closing org.springframework.context.annotation.AnnotationConfigApplicationContext@5773f83d: startup date [Fri Jul 06 10:13:57 CEST 2018]; root of context hierarchy
10:14:08.162 [Thread-3] INFO  org.camunda.bpm.container - ENGINE-08051 Process application my_project_name undeployed
10:14:08.172 [Thread-3] INFO  org.camunda.bpm.engine - ENGINE-00007 Process Engine default closed
10:14:08.172 [Thread-3] INFO  o.s.j.d.e.EmbeddedDatabaseFactory - Shutting down embedded database: url='jdbc:h2:mem:testdb;DB_CLOSE_DELAY=-1;DB_CLOSE_ON_EXIT=false'

Process finished with exit code 0

So I checked the deployments in the Wildfly Admin Console and saw my project deployed, as well as five other apps.

• camunda-engine-rest-7.9.1-ee-wildfly.war
  • camunda-example-invoice-7.9.1-ee.war
  • camunda-h2-webapp-7.9.1-ee.war
  • camunda-webapp-ee-jboss-7.9.1-ee.war
  • camunda-welcome.war
  • my-project-name.war

The camunda-webapp-ee-jboss-7.9.1-ee.war is the one, which I guess should also be classified as ‘provided’ in the pom.xml.

Here’s my first question:
Which is the dependency that represents this in the pom.xml that I may have to exclude? I tried putting ‘org.camunda.bpm.springboot’ on provided, but it didn’t help.

Second: At the end of the logs it says: Process application my_project_name undeployed, so my guess is, that my deployed war-file fails to register at the camunda process engine. But why does this happen?

Third: Are there some more steps that I have to follow to achieve what I want?

Does anyone have experience in this topic and is willing to help me out here?

Thank you very much in advance,
Daniel

I never worked with this kind of setup and can not imagine why you would want to deploy a spring boot war on an ejb container … but probably this fails beacuse the spring boot app configures its own embedded process engine and the ejb container expects a shared engine.

I want to use this setup, because I want to use camunda as a shared engine and have the benefits of the integrated Spring configuration in this archetype.
Your answer describes exactly what I try to figure out. The question now is how to achieve this…

I see no way of achieving this, because the operation models “shared” and “embedded” are completely different.
You could use the rest API (or expose some bean api) of the embedded engine in other deployables on the same ejb-container, but I doubt that will really be a good solution in the long run.
The camunda spring boot starter was just not build for this.