How to add BPMN, DMN, CMMN to camunda running on jboss

Hello,
I’m new to camunda and the way the software is presented, I did work with BPMN before. I’m doing a research on Case Management Fameworks and am currently trying out camunda in order to obtain information on how to use etc. I created a BPMN, DMN and CMMN with Camunda Modeler and want to implement it in Camunda. Camunda is Running on Jboss since it didn’t work on Apache for some reason. The camunda website only offers instruction when using apache.

The method to implement these processes in camunda is very vague to me and I don’t get it at all. Can someone help me with this?

Are you looking to add through the REST API or Java API?

I’m sorry this is unknown territory for me. I’ve never used this kind of software this way. I want to add the process I created (a bpmn, dmn and cmmn I created in the modeler) to the camunda application. The one you access with localhost8080/camunda. When starting camunda with the demo/demo you can see the example invoice process in cockpit. I want to add my own process there. Having a button “add process” would make things so much easier…

Hi,

Camunda requires at least a basic understanding of how a Java application server works and how to develop an application for it. Without it you will have a hard time. The documentation assumes this knowledge in a couple of places, which is why it may appear vague to you. That said, the getting started guide for BPMN should work in the same way on JBoss as it works on Tomcat given you know how to deploy a web application to JBoss. There are plenty of resources on the web on this aspect independent of Camunda. Let us know if you have a specific problem with that guide.

Cheers
Thorben

Yeah I did not know it required an understanding of a Java application server… Well I’m trying to make the best of it. I work a lot with IT and I can figure stuff out very quickly. Maven install etc I can google. Last question, then I’ll be out of here. Where can I find the pom.xml I need. There are multiple when I use the search function and they’re all placed in random named folders.

pom.xml always goes in the root folder of your Java application. Make yourself familiar with Maven as a build tool for Java applications, if you want to understand its purpose. This file is not Camunda-specific.

Here’s a short description how you can deploy your models without having to learn much (which I don’t mean in a negative way - you should have something running quickly, you will likely not understand why it runs, though; errors will be hard to understand):

1. Download the getting started guide’s sources: https://github.com/camunda/camunda-get-started/archive/Step-5.zip
  2. Unzip to a folder
  3. Put your models into ${UNZIP_LOCATION}/src/main/resources
  4. Build the application by running mvn clean install in ${UNZIP_LOCATION}
  5. Copy the resulting application (.war file in ${UNZIP_LOCATION}/target folder) to ${UNZIP_JBOSS_LOCATION}/server/jboss-as-7.2.0.Final/standalone/deployments, where ${UNZIP_JBOSS_LOCATION} is the path you extracted the Camunda JBoss distribution to

Thanks you for the help! I’ll check it out. learning all about a Java application server will be too much for too little information

Sure, let us know of any problems. I hope we can get you to a successfully deployed process :slight_smile:

I’ll chime in here as I have been in your position. To be sure, Camunda’s documentation is primarily intended for programmers. We consider Camunda to be as much a development environment as a finished, complete application, though it certainly offers all the basic features necessary to execute a large number of use cases.

Others can correct me if what follows is incorrect.

• DMN can be directly distributed to the Camunda server without the need for a lot of external tooling and configuration. Here’s an example of a direct deployment of a DMN table to a Camunda/WildFly server:

curl -v http://demo:demo@localhost:8080/engine-rest/deployment/create -F deployment-name="myFirstDmnTable" -F table.dmn=@"C:/Users/me/temp/myFirstDmnTable.dmn"

Check this section of the documentation for more details and how you might possible distribute BPMN and CMMN code: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.5/reference/rest/deployment/post-deployment/

• If you need to distribute an external resource like a Java class, you will not be able to directly deploy using the method above as it will not “assemble” a complete package. Start with a basic process as suggested so that you can become familiar with how processes are assembled. Maven can be challenging at first, but will make sense over time.

• Camunda is very powerful, but if you really want to test the full range of functionality, it will take you months to gain enough experience to fully explore it if you don’t already have the necessary Java experience. Just be patient and ask a lot of questions.