Getting ProcessModellInstance extension properties exclusively

Hey everyone,

I wrote 2 functions to retrieve extensions properties from a process model instance and user tasks. They look as follow:

private String getProcessModelExtensionProperty(DelegateTask delegateTask, String propertyKey) {

String propertyValue = null;

BpmnModelInstance model = delegateTask.getExecution().getBpmnModelInstance();

try {
        List<CamundaProperty> processModelExtensionProperties =
                model.getModelElementsByType(CamundaProperty.class)
                        .stream()
                        .filter(camundaProperty ->
                                camundaProperty.getCamundaName()
                                        .equals(propertyKey))
                        .collect(Collectors.toList());

if (processModelExtensionProperties.isEmpty()) {
            return propertyValue;
        } else {

propertyValue = processModelExtensionProperties.get(0).getCamundaValue();
        }

} catch (Exception e) {
        LOGGER.warn("Caught {} while trying to retrieve the " + propertyKey + " property from a process model", e);

}

return propertyValue;

}

private String getUserTaskExtensionProperty(DelegateTask delegateTask, String propertyKey) {

String propertyValue = null;

try {

CamundaProperties camundaProperties = delegateTask.getExecution()
                .getBpmnModelElementInstance()
                .getExtensionElements()
                .getElementsQuery()
                .filterByType(CamundaProperties.class).singleResult();

List<CamundaProperty> userTaskExtensionProperties = camundaProperties.getCamundaProperties()
                .stream()
                .filter(camundaProperty ->
                        camundaProperty.getCamundaName()
                                .equals(propertyKey))
                .collect(Collectors.toList());

if (userTaskExtensionProperties.isEmpty()) {
            return propertyValue;
        } else {

propertyValue = userTaskExtensionProperties.get(0).getCamundaValue();
        }
    } catch (Exception e) {
        LOGGER.warn("Caught {} while trying to retrieve the " + propertyKey + " property of a user task", e);
    }

return propertyValue;
}

But now i realized, that the method that was supposed to retrieve process model extensions properties only also retrieves extension properties from user tasks.

Is there a better way to just exclusively get process model extension properties?

Also, currently this property is retireved in every single user task through a task listener. What would be a good approach to maybe only look it up once and kinda cache it? Since it would be the same value for every user task, I don’t know how performant the Camunda API performs these lookups and always retireving all extension properties and filtering them seems very overkill

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi @dirkw65,

I don’t have an answer to your first question.

But, regarding your second question: I recently wrote a small performance test for reading models with the API. For processes with 1000 tasks, I just takes milliseconds to read the model: https://github.com/camunda/camunda-bpm-assert/pull/122#issuecomment-554742393.

So, I would not overengineer and introduce caching here.

Hope this helps, Ingo