External vs Connector

Hi, I am relatively new here so bare with me.

I have modeled out a diagram where I have a service task, that communicates with my backend service, which is running in express and nodejs. With how Camunda having examples about it here, I wanted to mimic the behavior.

However, I realized several things that quickly became an issue to me.

1. What format of javascript are they using? And does it have ES6 functionality?
  2. I have to update the script, deploy my model from Camunda Modeler, and then create the task list everytime I want to change my script, and that is really a long process. Is there anyway to streamline that?
  3. I need logging capabilities, and a quick google gave me this, which is helpful but I have no idea how to integrate it.

I then started looking around for youtube tutorials, and bumped into this, which is a link on integration with Python itself.

I have tried checking the apache logs for the text using printing via print but I am slightly confused.
My few question here I got today are,

1. Am I misunderstanding the workflow here?
  2. Should I be defining the functionality of each service task on its own much like a lambda expression?
  3. Should my service task be linked to my express backend, or on its own?
  4. Whats the difference between External and Connector?
  5. How do I print or log whatever messages are in my http-connector from a .js code
  6. I understand that Java has an inbuilt interpreter of javascript, but are there any limitations there?

I know that was a ton of questions, so I appreciate you for taking your time to read and helping me understand what is going on, thanks!

1 Like