External task, business key

Hi
While testing out the new External task client for Java, very nicely done guys, i realized that the business key is not available in the external task, nor is it available in the json response from the rest api. Is there a specific reason for this? I think it would be nice to have to be able to track our external task dependencies to the process instance more easily. Thanks for a nice addition with the Java client.
Best regards,
/Martin

UPDATE: Feature is available.

Hi @JWorks,

Iā€™m glad to hear that you like the client. :slight_smile:

Indeed, it is not possible to get the business key of the external task right now. Therefore, I created a ticket for your feature request.

Cheers,
Tassilo

4 Likes

Hi
Thanks for a fast reply and for putting it on your feature request list :slight_smile:
/Martin

Hi @JWorks,

with Camunda BPM 7.9.0-alpha2 we added the possibility to filter tasks by a certain business key on POST /external-task/fetchAndLock. See the following feature request: CAM-8951.

Right now this feature is not exposed to the External Task Client, so I created an additional feature request CAM-8951 for this.

Cheers,
Tassilo

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I came along the same problem. For me it would be handy to get all open external tasks based on the businessKey. The problem with the /fetchAndLock feature is, that you can just get a specific topic or is there an option for this?

BR
Jonathan

Hi @Jonathan_H,

You can specify a businessKey value so external tasks would be filtered based on the specified value of the businessKey.

/external-task/fetchAndLock

{
      "workerId":"aWorkerId",
      "maxTasks":2,
      "topics":
          [{"topicName": "createOrder",
          "lockDuration": 10000,
          "businessKey": "123"
          }]
    }
1 Like