Enhancing Tasklists with Business Data

Good day,
Normally I have only ever used 3-10 variables in Camunda, and also had them displayed in the Task List.
Now I have the case that in a project from 3 different sources data / variables are generated, which are then transferred via REST API to Camunda.
In the end there are about 50 variables that should be displayed in the task list.
If I have understood this correctly according to Understanding human task management | Camunda Platform 8 Docs, then I can no longer work with Camunda process variables, but must save them externally in a database and then access the variables/data via it.
As far as I can tell, this would work with Native Query API or Custom MyBatis Mapping?

I found the article by hassan (Customizing and Extending Camunda Tasklist (Communication with External Sources) | by Hassan H Ghanem | Medium), if I see it correctly, he used Custom MyBatis Mapping, right?

I am more on the business side than on the it side, so for me it would probably be easier to work with Native Query API (some SQL experience I have)?

Do you guys know of any other content or articles I can look at?
Are my findings correct at all so far?

Thanks already!!!

Hi @svenr,

Objects returned from using native query API are of camunda Task entity type so you can’t load custom data from your business objects.

This means you cannot load data from your domain objects by native queries, you simply can express arbritrary WHERE clauses
Understanding human task management | Camunda 8 Docs

If there is a need to load custom data from your business objects then you need to go with a more advanced solution (Below might be a good solution for your case)

The medium article you are referring to demonstrates the loading of data from external sources in general.
Associating business data with a process instance to be demonstrated in our next topic but even so we are going to use custom coding and utilize business key feature to link running process instance to it’s corresponding business object.

1 Like

Hello,
thank you very much for your help!

As far as I understood, first I have to store all data from the different data sources in a central database. For each entry I would then need a unique ID to access all variables.

Camunda User Task List then accesses the variables from the external database with the corresponding ID and then displays them in the Task List. In addition, Task List users have the possibility to change values of certain variables (?)

I am interested in your further article!

Do you know of any other articles I can look at regarding Custom Process or Task “InfoEntity”?

Many greetings!

Hi @svenr,

here is a generic solution: GitHub - holunda-io/camunda-bpm-taskpool: A library for pooling Camunda BPM user tasks and process related business objects..

Hope this helps, Ingo

2 Likes

I will try this out and let you know!

Thank you!