Engine on Mobile Device?

Hi,

In my case a user is working with an android smartphone in an offline mode. During his work he has to complete several tasks that should be routet by a local process. When the user is online again he can synchronize the data via REST.

So my question is, if it is possible to run a small bpmn process with camunda engine on a mobile device?
My guess: If I can use the java api of the engine and a h2 database on a mobile device there is no need for a container like tomcat. Isn’t it?

That would mean my JAVA-app should be able to load the engine based on the h2 database inside their runtime and should be able to route the process. Am I right?

Have anyone experience with this or even tried it before?

Hi @cweb,

When using an embedded engine, no application server is required, so in theory that should work when you embed the engine library in the mobile application and point it to some database. I haven’t tried it myself yet, so I can’t provide any practical experience regarding memory consumption, etc.

Cheers,
Thorben

Hi @thorben

Thanks a lot for your response. So it looks as if my guess seemed to be right and it could work.
Actually It was only a quick thought about running processes for offline user. But I guess even the limitation like different devices without Java would be a big disadvantage.

Hi Everyone,
do someone made some experience on running the engine on Android device.
I’m working for industry, we have complex process both central and in mobility, so we would like to
describe the whole process in BPMN 2.0 and running the mobile part on an Android device that is occasionally connected.

Thanks in advance

I think this depends upon what you want to do. Are you trying to display the state of the process like the Web App console does, or are you actually trying to execute BPMN on the device?