Enable debug in Camunda

Hello,
I would like to know if there is a way to enable Camunda debug?
As I can only see the logs related to bpmn file deploy, as well as errors that could occur, in catalina.out file.

My point is, I would like to debug the Rest API requests and responses that I make, in order to see all the steps that are being made, from Camunda Modeler (where bpmn file is deployed to the engine) to Cockpit (where the process-definition is afterwards started)?
I’m using Tomcat as server.

Regards.

Hi @user1,

You need to add the logging dependencies like Logback.

<dependency>
  <groupId>ch.qos.logback</groupId>
  <artifactId>logback-classic</artifactId>
  <version>1.1.2</version>
</dependency>

Add a file named logback.xml . And provide the logging configurations:

<configuration>

<appender name="STDOUT" class="ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender">
    <!-- encoders are assigned the type
         ch.qos.logback.classic.encoder.PatternLayoutEncoder by default -->
    <encoder>
      <pattern>%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n</pattern>
    </encoder>
  </appender>

<!-- camunda -->
  <logger name="org.camunda" level="info" />

<!-- common dependencies -->
  <logger name="org.apache.ibatis" level="info" />
  <logger name="javax.activation" level="info" />
  <logger name="org.springframework" level="info" />

<root level="debug">
    <appender-ref ref="STDOUT" />
  </root>

</configuration>

Also you can change to the desired log levels, from info to debug level. For more details for logging refer the docs: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/latest/user-guide/logging/

Hello @aravindhrs ,

I’ve some questions, related to your suggestion:

1. So you’re suggesting that I should include the dependency in a pom.xml file and my question is, in pom.xml file of camunda-webapp-tomcat folder (from camunda-bpm-tomcat)?

2. Another question is where the logback.xml file should be placed?

3. And including the dependencies, the debug results will be stored in catalina.out file?

Thank you for your reply.

Regards

Hey @user1,

it looks like you are using the Tomcat distribution Camunda provides, is that correct?
In that case you can have a look at how Java Util Logging can be used in Tomcat in general first. There should be no need to add a dependency in general here.
Afterwards, have a look at the categories Camunda provides in the logging documentation that @aravindhrs provided in order to log what you want to see in debug mode.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Tobias