Embedded app forms with REST API

Hi All,

Is it possible to use embedded forms when BPMN is deployed/started via REST API (by using Camunda Modeler for example)? How?

Note, I’m particularly asking embedded app forms (embedded:app:forms/form_name.html) as opposed to embedded deployment forms (embedded:deployment:form_name.html)

I couldn’t make it work. I got the below error when opening the form in the Tasklist:

Form failure: The context path is either empty or not defined.

I’ve followed the instructions mentioned in this stackoverflow question.

It actually even doesn’t work with the mentioned spring-boot-starter twitter-example.

I’ve added below fragment to pom.xml of twitter-example to enable REST API:

<dependency>
	<groupId>org.camunda.bpm.springboot</groupId>
	<artifactId>camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-rest</artifactId>
	<version>${camunda.spring.boot.starter.version}</version>
</dependency>

Then started the twitter BPMN with Camunda modeler, then got the same error when opening the form in the Tasklist:

Form failure: The context path is either empty or not defined.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Hakan

Hi @raft,

If you want use the embedded:deployment:... form reference, you have to deploy the process and the forms together with a single deployment.

You can use this REST endpoint and upload the forms together with the process models to the engine: https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.14/reference/rest/deployment/post-deployment/

Hope this helps, Ingo

Hi @Ingo_Richtsmeier,

No, just the opposite, I want to use embedded:app:forms in coordination with REST API, is that possible?

Hi @raft,

no, embedded forms can only be handled in the camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-webapp.

Hope this helps, Ingo

Hi @Ingo_Richtsmeier,

This is a camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-webapp but in addition camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-rest is also applied.

So embedded forms is not possible in this case?

Hi @raft,

you are able to use the webapp with embedded form and the rest api in the same project.

But you cannot get the content of the embedded form with an /engine-rest/ endpoint.

Hope this helps, Ingo

Thanks @Ingo_Richtsmeier, now it’s clear.