Could not Suspend Process Definition

Dear All, Hi!

I’m very new to Camunda.
I need to upgrade the database used by Camunda and for this, I’d like to suspend all running process before stopping the database.
When I tried to suspend on of our process Camunda returned: “Finished: Could not update the suspension state of the process definition: The suspension state of the process definition could not be updated to ‘suspended’ successfully.”

This specific process has 16K+ running instances. Is this a problem? I have another processes that contains between 19K and 110k running processes.

Is there a proper documentation that I should follow on how to properly pause or stop Camunda before upgrading my database?

Best regards, Diego

Hi @diegowa

Can you let me know exactly how you’re trying to suspend the process and also explain a little bit about the processes?

Also - if you’re planning on doing a database update is there a reason why you don’t want to just shut down the Camunda nodes instead of suspending everything?

Hi @Niall!

Thank you for taking the time to check my message.
To suspend the process I’m going through Cockpit -> Processes -> Click on a Process Name -> Click on the Suspend Process Definition on the upper right on the Process details page.

Regarding your last question. Well, the person that was responsible to take care of Camunda left the company some time ago, I just had my first contact with Camunda (2 weeks) and I’m pretty lost. :frowning:

If I can shut down Camunda as a whole it would be great. We are running it inside a container but we have just one replica of it, is this an issue? I just can’t lose the state of our current processes.

Can you provide a link for this documentation that explain how to properly shut down Camunda safely?

Once again, thank you Niall.

So assuming that the engine isn’t using an H2 database to run (i.e. is using a regular SQL DB) you can shut down the nodes without losing any state.
All state is kept in the DB - none is stored on the node.

I’m not sure what specific documentation relates to your use case because i’d need a lot more information on your setup, but i can point you towards the best practices documentation and also the regular and more comprehensive Camunda docs. Hopefully that’ll be a good place to start.

1 Like

We have a simple setup, Camunda <-> Aurora MySQL.

Anyway, I’ll read all these links you provided. :slight_smile: