Configuring a Standalone deployment for JSON Serialisation and Database

I am trying to find the configuration point to set the default serialisation to use JSON.

I am using this deployment architecture: Install the Standalone Webapplication (.war) | docs.camunda.org

And am trying to follow the foot note on the bottom this article here: JSON | docs.camunda.org

Default Serialization Format

The engine can be configured to persist all objects for which no explicit data format is specified as JSON. The process engine configuration offers a property defaultSerializationFormat. To configure default JSON serialization, set this property to application/json. Now, the invocation runtimeService.setVariable(processInstance.getId(), "customer", new Customer()) directly serializes the customer object as JSON without explicit declaration of the format.

I am having several issues with configuration:

• It says to edit the application.yaml file, which I cannot find. Is it referring to a file in my process project (built off the spring boot maven archetype) or the camunda.war deployment in the tomcat web apps folder?
  • (Other config related) This link: Install the Standalone Webapplication (.war) | docs.camunda.org says to edit the WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml file, again I cannot locate this file at all?

My questions - Given the Standalone Deployment scenario:

• Where are the engine level configuration points?
    • Database config
    • Serialisation config
  • Where are the process application (.war) level configuration points?

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 11.16.22