Configure bpm-platform.xml in Azure App Service

I am using Azure app service container to deploy Camunda. I need to update my bpm-platform.xml file to set jobExecutorDeploymentAware value to false.

Azure does not support mounting of a single file. It allows only a directory to be mounted. As a result I need to mount the conf directory and mount all the files inside conf. I would like to avoid this because I need to update my database credentials in server.xml.

Is there an alternative way to set “jobExecutorDeploymentAware” to false, like setting docker property?
Or can I mount bpm-platform.xml file to a different folder?

You’d probably be better off long-term moving your database credentials to some sort of secret store (you have several database environment variables at your disposal). Mounting the config directory as a volume seems like something worth having…

But to answer your last question, according to the docs, you should be able to configure a custom location with the BPM_PLATFORM_XML variable. This should get picked up prior to the config being found in ${CATALINA_HOME} + /conf/ (#5 on the list).

Thanks for the reply. I am currently having my database credentials and docker configs in a secret store.
As I said earlier I cannot mount single file (bpm-platform.xml) in Azure app service. If I need to mount bpm-platform.xml then I need to mount the entire /conf folder which consists of server.xml, web.xml, context.xml and other files. Also if I mount /conf folder then I need to update the database credentials in server.xml which I want to avoid.
Is there a database property I can update to set “jobExecutorDeploymentAware” to false?

Right, I’m suggesting that you mount another directory that has only your bpm-platform.xml in it. Then using the BPM_PLATFORM_XML environment variable to set the new location. In theory, that should get scanned and loaded before the default location.

To my knowledge jobExecutorDeploymentAware does not get persisted to or loaded from the database.

Using BPM_PLATFORM_XML solved the issue. You made my day!

1 Like

Added here so others don’t waste much time on the volume mounting

Hi @jgigliotti ,

I bumped upon another issue. Is there a way to define path of web.xml like BPM_PLATFORM_XML. I need to enable basic auth for my Camunda server. I saw articles to specify LDAP values in bpm-platform.xml file but I did not find how to enable auth in bpm-platform.xml

Could you please guide me.

I don’t think you’d need to update the web.xml Did you checkout these docs for enabling the LDAP plugin?

You may want to start a new thread with the new topic, you may get additional assistance.