Claim Task timeout

Our application allows a user to claim a task (either BPMN or CMMN) by calling the REST API.

From what I can see there is no way to specify a timeout on the task acquisition, so that if the user doesn’t complete the task within a certain time that the task gets automatically ‘unclaimed’ so that another user can claim it and work on it.

Is this functionality available at all within Camunda?

You can add non-interrupting boundary timer event to that task, if the user doesn’t claim and complete the task you can reassign to another user by configuring Listener in the boundary event

Thanks, but the issue is more the reverse. If a user claims a task, and doesn’t complete it within a period of time I want the task to become unclaimed and re-available for someone else to deal with.

For example, if a user claims a task and then goes on leave for a fortnight…

I can see that I can add a “assignment” task listener - does anyone have an example of creating a script that kicks off a timer to release the task if not completed in, say, 1 hr? Thanks

Hi @steve,

perhaps you can find some hints to a solution from this example: https://github.com/camunda-consulting/code/tree/master/one-time-examples/counterparty-onboarding#escalate-all-tasks-with-due-date

An escalation could be an unclaim as well. And you can start the timer on the assignment event.

Hope this helps, Ingo