Can't start new process in Camunda

Hi,

I’m new in BPM engines and still learning it. I have a problem with starting new process instance. In this tutorial 2 - Camunda Tutorial for Java Developers on Vimeo at 18:51, When i started a new process in same way. It says “The process has been started.” but when I go back to cockpit page, the number of Running Instances is 0 belonging to my Process.

Please help me.

Hi @rcanpahali,

Did you check under History view of the process instance as in the video. It can be that the instance is already completed and not running.

Best regards,
Yana

Thank for your quick reply Yana.

Im using community edition of software, I don’t have History button there :frowning:

Hi again,

Sorry about that.
You can check with the Rest API for example.
https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.7/reference/rest/history/process-instance/get-process-instance-query/

Best regards,
Yana

How did you solve this? @rcanpahali

@Yana do you know what the reason might be?

Hi @nurrebass1,

It could be numerous reasons.
You need to check if the process is deployed correctly (check the server log file).
Check for any errors in the server log file, they could help you to see what went wrong.
You verify that the process definition is there via Rest API (https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.9/reference/rest/process-definition/get-query/).
As I mentioned in the previous post check the historic process instances. (Have you tried that?)
Finally you can share your process so we can check it out.

Best regards,
Yana

Hi @Yana,

Thanks for the fast reply! This is my process. When I change the service task called “Prøv igjen” and make it a user task instead, it works. So that step is probably the main issue. Do you know how I can implement it the right way?

This works

works

This doesn’t work and clicking start process makes the app crash giving Java heap space exception

process.bpmn (5.1 KB)

Watch out for infinite loops without wait states (user tasks, asynchronous continuations, …) in your model :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @thorben! It works perfectly fine now with a wait state between the service tasks :blush:

HI @Yana , i could see a popup at right bottom saying " the process has started " when i start the process but right after i go to the cockpit , i see 0 instances of the same process . could you please help me with it ?

@Sukanya_Singh does your process model has waiting state? If not the process would have completed earlier and same you can check in the camunda history.

Could you upload your bpmn file?

hey @aravindhrs thanks for the quick reply . Actually , i am using open source version , so i don’t have history tab with me .Also , BPMN is not having any waiting task . and my total instances are still zero. although when hitting the invoice process that is there by default the instances are increasing one by one

Can you upload your bpmn file?

yes process.bpmn (5.2 KB)