Camunda web app spring boot project start failed

Java version: JDK 11
Spring boot version: 2.0.2.RELEASE
Camunda version: 7.9.0
Camunda spring boot version: 3.0.0

When i startup my camunda spring boot project, it encounters the following error:

Error: Could not find or load main class See.m2\repository\org\camunda\bpm\springboot\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter\3.0.0\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3.0.0.jar;C:\Users\Darren
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: See/m2\repository\org\camunda\bpm\springboot\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter\3/0/0\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3/0/0/jar;C:\Users\Darren

I have confirmed that camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3.0.0.jar is inside my .m2 folder. Can help to look into this issue?

Attached here are the pom.xml for both camunda-bpm-service-v1 and customized-camunda-webapp-webjar-lib.

Please help.

Thankscamunda-bpm-service-v1.xml (3.5 KB)
customized-camunda-webapp-webjar-lib.xml (5.3 KB)

JDK 11 is not supported with camunda spring boot starter 3.0.0, you need to switch to 3.2.0, Camunda version 7.10, spring boot 2.1.1
https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.10/user-guide/spring-boot-integration/version-compatibility/

Tested with JDK 10, camunda spring boot starter 3.0.0, Camunda version 7.9.0 and spring boot 2.0.2, same error too when startup in STS.

starter 3.0.0 works only with java <= 8. If you need 10 or 11, you will have to upgrade like Yana said.

Hi

I am trying out this tutorial with this jdk/runtime:

openjdk version “11.0.2” 2019-01-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.2+9)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.2+9, mixed mode)

When trying to build, it works fine. But when I run it, it fails. Could you please add the correct POM dependencies to run the example/s:

You will need spring Boot 2.1.1 , camunda 7.10 and starter 3.2 for Java 11

For version compatibility check this.

https://docs.camunda.org/manual/7.10/user-guide/spring-boot-integration/version-compatibility/

Thanks for pointing out on the version incompatibility. But the problem only happened when starting the camunda project through STS boot dashboard. If i use command prompt to start the spring boot project java -jar camunda-bpm-service-v1.jar, there is no issue in startup.

Are you using any JVM args? can you provide your runtime jvm args for application startup parameters?

Hi aravindhrs,

There is none. You can refer to the attached screenshot on both the error and also the command prompt. The command prompt case will start successfully.

@seedarren, please provide complete error message.

It seems some dependency issues or classpath issues for dependencies.

Hi aravindhrs,

The complete error is as follow:

Error: Could not find or load main class See.m2\repository\org\camunda\bpm\springboot\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter\3.0.0\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3.0.0.jar;C:\Users\Darren
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: See/m2\repository\org\camunda\bpm\springboot\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter\3/0/0\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3/0/0/jar;C:\Users\Darren

FYI, i also tested with spring boot version 2.1.1.RELEASE, camunda spring boot starter 3.2.0, camunda version to 7.10.0 together with adopt open JDK 11, the same error happened as below:

Error: Could not find or load main class See.m2\repository\org\camunda\bpm\springboot\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter\3.2.0\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3.2.0.jar;C:\Users\Darren
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: See/m2\repository\org\camunda\bpm\springboot\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter\3/2/0\camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-3/2/0/jar;C:\Users\Darren

Try build your application. Make sure the scope is set to compile.

And also share your pom.xml/build.gradle file.

Classloader is not able to find the class in the classpath. How did you added your dependencies to the project?

For dependencies, you must specify maven repo.

pom.xml (3.5 KB)
Here is the pom file and the scope by default is compile. I have maven update in STS and perform clean and build. Any idea to troubleshoot?

I just wonder is it the issue caused by my pom has camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter as compile dependencies but at the same time the pom file point to parent pom of spring-boot-starter-parent?