Camunda Run running in the cloud vs Camunda Cloud

Hello
What is the difference between Camunda Run running on a server in the cloud and Camunda Cloud? Is it about being managed service and about better horizontal scalability?
When I start a new Camunda Cloud BPMN diagram in the Modeler I see less available task and event types?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @jaxx

So the difference is that they use different engines in the backend.
Camunda Run is a distribution to our long-standing BPMN engine Camunda Platform
Camunda Cloud uses a much newer engine that we’ve built called Zeebe

Zeebe is purpose built to be cloud native so it scales much better and so it best suited for scenarios where people would like a workflow engine as a service. Because it’s much newer it doesn’t yet have all of the features and BPMN symbol implementation as Camunda Platform.

Camunda Platform is an incredibly reliable and feature complete BPMN engine. The downside is that because it uses a relational database to persist everything it has limits on it’s scalability. That said, most projects will never even reach those limits. it’s perfect for things like embedding the engine within a service or orchestrating users and services in the majority usecases that have a medium to high throughput. For very high throughput Camunda Cloud (zeebe) is better.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, Niall

Can we say that if the given process involves a lot of steps, which require human interactions and less fully automated steps, then the original Camunda Platform will be an adequate choice?

Absolutely.
we would start considering something very high volume if it’s processing 1000 instances or more per second.

1 Like

Thank you
I have one more question (more on the technical side).
When we want to place an automated task in the process, is there a big difference between using a Script task with a Groovy script and a Service task, which calls a Java class?
I am specifically talking about a task, which will not exceed 10-15 sec.
For longer running tasks, I guess implementing an external worker would be best.