Camunda failover not working as expected

I am trying to setup a cluster of Camunda nodes. Going by the documentation and online help, it seems like i should have two or more camunda instances pointing to the same DB and connect to a load balancer. In my case i did the following:

1. Download the latest Camunda community edition (tomcat distro), changed the port to 9000 and added a data-source. Then started camunda engine.
  2. Made a copy of the camunda in step 1 (to have same data-source) and changed port to 9002. Then started camunda engine.
  3. Created a web app that has 2 service tasks in between a start and end task. Async before and after, both are checked. also the java class for both service tasks just prints a message and then sleeps for 10 seconds to replicate a long task. An then prints another message.
  4. Deployed the web-app in both camunda engines, and restarted both tomcats.

Expected behaviour:
When i start a new process using tasklist, the task can be recieved by any of the two camunda nodes. And then it can be executed by any of them. Also when 1 camunda node goes down, the other one should pick up the task and execute it.

Observed behaviour:
On starting a new process, the below is observed:

1. The call goes to any of the two nodes and the entire workflow is executed on that node only.
  2. when the node that is executing the process goes down (while still in the sleep cycle), the other node is not picking up the process and executing it.

I am not sure what extra needs to be done here to achieve failover for Camunda cluster. Please advise.