Camunda External Task Client for Python 3

Hello Everyone,

I have started writing External Task Client in Python 3 for Camunda.

Here is Github link: GitHub - camunda-community-hub/camunda-external-task-client-python3: Camunda External Task Client in Python

Any feedback + contributions are most welcome.

Regards,
Yogesh

Released version of Camunda External Task Client in Python 3 library can be found here:

2 Likes

Hi,

thanks for bringing python option to Camunda External Tasks

I have been trying to use your library. Used your sample code just as it is, and included my business logic in it, but always receive an error saying youNevertheless I installed it with pip as the instructions say, and checked the directories are there. Also sure my python is 3.7 (3.7.9 actually).

Do you have an idea what am I could be missing ?

Thanks in advance

@Luis check if PIP is already installed

pip help

or

pip --version

If PIP responds, then PIP is installed. Otherwise, there will be an error saying the program could not be found.

PIP is automatically installed with Python 2.7.9+ and Python 3.4+.

Follow this tutorial for PIP installation and verification.

Hello,
What is the error you are getting? please provide detailed error and stack trace.

Regards,
Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

nice work!

It would be very useful if variable type could be specified like
return task.complete({
“var1”: 1, ‘Integer’,
“var2”: [“A”,“B”,“C”], ‘JSON’
}).
Seems now only the value can be provided.
I am aware that above structure is not valid but I hope you get the idea.
I have the need to create a JSON type variables in the process.

I was also checking this:

https://github.com/camundacon2019/External-Task-Client

but it has same limitation.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Ingo

@pitu72
Instead of having the ability to provide the type of the variable, I am thinking is that we should auto-detect the type based on the value. That way there is no chance of a mis-match between actual value provided and its type provided.

Thx for coming back on that.
Camunda itself does some auto-detection however I was not able to make it a JSON type.
Maybe the type could be optional parameter. If not provided the auto-detection (from Camunda or within python would take over).

This is an old post, but I was with the very same requirement than you,
Handling input/output the Json typed variables.

So I coded it my-self :slight_smile:

My pull request here.

The fully working component : https://github.com/fliot/camunda-external-task-client-python3

It’s based on svenrr fork, which was also embedding REST Engine/Api authentication features.

1 Like

Hi @yogeshrnaik

Thank you so much for writing the External Task Client for Python 3 in Camunda. If possible can I please request for your help? It has something to do with the Basic Auth. Here’s the thread I’ve created.

Thank you in advance!