Camunda Engine in Cloud Environment

Hello,

I started a project with camunda spring boot starter. I added the rest dependency, but actually what I need is only the engine itself.

<dependency>
		<groupId>org.camunda.bpm.springboot</groupId>
		<artifactId>camunda-bpm-spring-boot-starter-rest</artifactId>
		<version>7.13.0</version>
	</dependency>

Instead of using the camunda rest api, I used autowired beans in spring such as TaskService, RuntimeService, etc. which come from the camunda engine and I developed specialized methods to start a new process, get the task details or complete a user task.

@Autowired
private RuntimeService runtimeService;

@Autowired
private TaskService taskService;

@Autowired
private RepositoryService repositoryService;

I also don’t use camunda web, because I developed my own frontend with reactjs.

Now this project needs to run on cloud inside a docker container with multiple nodes.
Assume that the first request hits to Container A and starts a process.
But the second request hits to Container B and needs to complete a user task on that newly created process.
So, I wonder if this would work ok ?

I already read below blog post but I think the memcache configuration is required if you are dependent to web console or rest api which I am not.

Camunda BPM Session Management in Cloud
Thanks,
Guvenc

Hi,

Each engine node/instance is essentially stateless as process state is persisted in a common DB instance. (There is some internal engine state but for all intents and purpose, consider the engines as stateless). Yes the web apps can be stateful when they use a session.

Given you are potentially just using the REST APIs, then again you can consider these as stateless. Note however that depending on what authentication and authorisation mechanism you use, you could inadvertently introduce state. If you use basic auth (out of the box config) you should be fine…

regards

Rob

@Webcyberrob thanks, that was the answer I was looking for.

Finally, I was able to implement this with docker containers and tested.

I put an nginx infront as the load balancer and 2 containers for my springboot application.

Camunda engine worked without problems.

Thanks,
Guvenc