Camunda Docker instance does not have groovy engine enabled

Hi All,

I have deployed Camunda (Community Edition)docker instance , as per the guidance under the following blog: Anyone can run Camunda BPM on Azure in 10 Minutes - Camunda

Thanks for the blog as it was really pretty easy to deploy.

Issue faced currently is: on execution of script task with groovy code complaints for no groovy engine.

Can someone please suggest a solution for the same?

Error Screen for reference:

Details for reference (Stacktrace from Azure logs):
Caused by: org.camunda.bpm.engine.exception.NullValueException: Can’t find scripting engine for ‘groovy’: scriptEngine is null
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:490)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.util.EnsureUtil.generateException(EnsureUtil.java:394)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.util.EnsureUtil.ensureNotNull(EnsureUtil.java:55)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.util.EnsureUtil.ensureNotNull(EnsureUtil.java:50)
at org.camunda.bpm.engine.impl.scripting.engine.ScriptingEngines.getGlobalScriptEngine(ScriptingEngines.java:138)
… 82 more

Regards,
Ankit

Hi Ankit - Camunda can be used with different scripting languages. Currently the JVM only includes JavaScript support ootb. If you want to use other scripting languages then the corresponding jars need to be added to the deployment. For groovy this would be https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.codehaus.groovy/groovy-all

@rob2universe : This would help only when I am deploying a local instance after building the image.
As I am currently using the docker image from Camunda, my question was pertaining to Camunda docker image from Camunda (camunda/camunda-bpm-platform:run-latest) .
Do you have some settings which shall enable the groovy engine in this image?
Or under this docker image support for Groovy does not exist and if I need groovy I need to build dedicated image and then deploy?

Evaluating Camunda currently and this is a major bottleneck turning up.

Hi @Ankit9,

I double checked with the Camunda distro on Tomcat. There is groovy-all.2.4.13.jar included.

This can be found here: https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.codehaus.groovy/groovy-all/2.4.13.

(Check for “Files” and the link to the jar).

Hope this helps, Ingo

Thanks for the info @Ingo_Richtsmeier.

If this dependent library is already present , can you please help me how I can enable groovy on the docker image?
Is there a configuration to enable it?
Currently this configuration is being specified as per the documentation I was referring to:
_SPRING_APPLICATION JSON
with the Value:
{”camunda.bpm.run.auth.enabled”:”true”}

Is there some configuration to enable groovy scripting engine?

Seems like this is a problem with the Community Edition for Camunda (maybe on purpose, but still early days for it).

Hi Aniket - Groovy support is not a difference between CE and EE. There are many scripting engines which can potentially be used with Java and Camunda. To keep the distribution slim we do not include them. I understand that this is a challenge for people who are not creating their deployment with Java builds, but want to use other scripting engines with the containerized Camunda BPM Run distribution.

Here is a solution. This project helps to add custom user artifacts (using groovy jars as an example) to the Camunda BPM RUN docker image in a custom container image and to deploy it to a container registry. Everything can be done on Azure. You do not require a local docker or git installation.

Please follow the documentation (Usage from within Azure console) and let me know if this works for you. The Included test process model makes use or Groovy.

1 Like

As an option, you could use wildfly docker image.
https://hub.docker.com/layers/camunda/camunda-bpm-platform/wildfly10-7.7.0/images/sha256-7a6ac3e609e1694516651ec977f9471ad52c973df745a02c51bd28f3f67c1883?context=explore