Execution gets stuck before a state having execution listener

Hi

I have put a class as an execution listener in a service task (whose implementation is external).
I am expecting the execution listener class will execute first, then my external task.
But I am seeing a weird behavior. The execution gets stuck at the state before my state with execution listener. Can any one please suggest why this is happening?

Thaks
Urvashi

Hi @Urvashi_Prasad,

I guess there was some error when the listener was executed and the transaction rolled back to before that listener. Maybe you can check the container log file for exceptions that could be associated with your listener.

Best,
Ben

Hey Ben. You’re right. The problem was that the listener class was not found by the engine.

I have had this problem since a long time and it has not been fixed. I am forced to use external tasks instead of java class implementations, because camunda is unable to find my classes at run time. FYI ,I am deploying bpmns using REST api dynamically. I had posted a question long back on this and someone gave an explanation that if I dynamically deploy bpmns , they get saved else where that’s why it is not able to find my java classes. (something along these lines)

I would really appreciate if you can help me find a way to fix this. Currently I am not able to use java classes neither as an implementation nor as an event listener.

Link to my previous question: Exception while starting a new bpmn process instance
Thanks
Urvashi

Yeah, Niall’s explanations in the other thread are still valid here.

If you need Java classes, then deploying only with REST is not an option. If you are forced to do pure REST deployment, then you could consider using scripts for listeners, but these scripts should be deployed together with the model in the same REST call, so I don’t see any advantage compared to just deploy a war-file to the container that contains all the code.

Best,
Ben

Thanks ! But I do believe there should be a way to do this…